We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Tuesday, April 07, 2009
New Saying + a Song Request + a Couple Other Random Bits
The newest thing heard around our house is, "I Can't DOOOOOO it!" accompanied by falling in the floor, a little bit of drama, and then peeking at us to see if we're watching the show.

I have to admit, it really is quite an amusing show.

-----------------------------------------

And at night, I usually sing a bedtime song to Iliya - in the past, I've rocked him while singing...but now, I fit in his bed, so I lay beside him while I sing to him.  Anyway, for our first year home, I would sing him to sleep...and ever since the year mark, I've shortened the "playlist" incrementally until I'm able to sing one song, kiss him goodnight, and let him finish falling asleep on his own.

Until recently, I have simply chosen the song(s) that I sing - whatever I'm in the mood for.  Two of the songs I have sung to him since our 10 day waiting period in Russia are, "I Am a Poor Wayfaring Stranger" and "There is a Balm in Gilead."  (don't ask...I know, they're not typical lullabies, but they came to me one night when he was particularly difficult to settle, and they've stuck)

Anyway...lately, I've started occasionally asking him to choose the bedtime song.  Ever since Christmas, the standard request has been, "Silent Night."  

Imagine my surprise Monday night:  when I asked Iliya what he wanted me to sing, he thought for a moment and then said, "The Yellow Ball Song."  

Can you figure it out?  

It took a moment for my brain to sort it out, and I finally asked if he meant the "There is a Balm" song.  He nodded, and I sang to him.

-------------------------------------------

This past weekend, Nathan had Drill, so Iliya and I had a busy weekend of running around by ourselves.  We went to a local park, that has a garden and a pond, where I took Iliya's Easter pictures in the garden.  Taking photographs of my child can be incredibly difficult and often frustrating is not the easiest thing in the world (I think it's because I'm his mom, but who knows?) - and once I finished his dressy and casual portraits, I decided to leave the camera in the car...thereby guaranteeing a frustration-free time down by the pond.  Of course, when we arrived at the pond, we were greeted with all the usual ducks and about 15 tiny, fuzzy ducklings!  We started throwing bread to them (Iliya ate every other piece of bread I gave him) and then we noticed about 20 turtles in the water, also eating the bread.  It was a very cool experience!

And I didn't get the first picture.  But it's a cool memory.  And I do have a photograph (from the casual "portraits") that I would like to share...


Photobucket


Is it just me, or is that one cool cat?!
10 Comments:
Blogger Lindsay said...
Love the photo - but he looks so much older! Where did the baby boy go?

Blogger Laura S said...
Cute photo! Taking portraits of your own child is tough, especially tough if you don't have a helper! Hopefully you will share a few more! HINT HINT!

We did ours a few weeks ago (on our blog) and I had either one or both of my parents helping and it still wasn't easy! But I made the cutest book (layout is also on the blog) for my mom for her birthday. What photo lab are you using? Do you use a pro lab? I love mine and turn around (even for the books) is awesome!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
***hint...hint*** Re: Laura's comment -- 2nd paragraph, second line, ***hint...hint***

What a wonderful idea, Laura...I'm sure your mom loved receiving such a treasured gift!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Awww! That warms my heart! "Balm in Gilead" is one I always sang to my children ... and grandchildren.
Yrs. ago my 2 year old dtr. kept asking me to sing "Spot" and I sang every song I could think of without identifying which one she wanted until I got to "no SPOT is so dear to my childhood..." as in "Little Brown Church in the Vale". She said "That's it, Mommy!" :)
Tharen

What a cute blog...Will be back to read more soon.Hope you will stop by my blog. I am a new blogger. This is my second month in the world of BLOG. I have a great give away this month. This drawing will be the last day of April.
Every comment you leave throughout the month will enter your name in the drawing. This NEW blogger was so touched by all the comments I got on the Blog Party Give Away,(over 300) that I decided to make this a monthly GIFT...
Also, if you mention my blog telling about the monthly giveaway, you will have your name entered 10 extra times...Just be sure and let me know that you did. How is that for an incentive?
I was so blown away by all the responses that I wanted to email each person personally... I did love reading all of them..I am continuing to introduce my family members. In May, there will be some fun blogs coming from Disney World with the grandkids. I hope to blog every night, in case you like a good trip report. And there will also be a great Disney giveaway.
I am so thankful for all my new friends.

Blogger kate said...
That is one cool dude.

Iliya is SO BIG! Where are his chubby cheeks? He is such a big boy! I love the photo!

Blogger Jane and Jim said...
VERY cool!
This is what he'll look like at 30!

What have you done to your son? I mean, whose kid requests an old hymn like that?! That is too funny and awesome all in one! :) Good job. He's gonna get him some culture one was or t'other. I don't have your gift (or mental store) of cute songs with motions. I wish I did. I think it is so cute when kids recite little poems or fingerplays like I've seen you do with Iilya.

Blogger Jane said...
WOW!!! is it the sunglasses or the hair cut...but when did he grow up?!? so what kind of grades is he making in third grade? seriously, he looks so grown up. must be all the grown up time on the potty.
Happy Spring!