We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Wednesday, June 04, 2008
New Shoes
One of the hardest things for me to remember is to check how Iliya's shoes fit. I just can't get the hang of it, and I don't know why. I guess when I put them on him, I just don't think about how small they look in comparison with his foot.

But last week, when he started begging to wear his "NaNa CHU" (sandal shoes), I should've taken the hint. Of course not! I let him wear his sandals...because I figured he loved them. And he may, who knows? But then he got in the habit of taking them off at school. Which, as a former preschool teacher, I know is very frustrating to the teachers. So, we came up with an idea. Start the day with sandals, and if he took them off, then his teacher would put his tennis shoes on him. We had hoped that the prospect of wearing his tennis shoes might deter him from taking the sandals off his feet.

And he seemed to get it (a little bit, anyway)...because when he needed to take his shoes off (to get sand out, for instance), he would run to his cubby, grab the tennis shoes, and take them to his teacher for a shoe change.

On Monday, when he came home in his tennis shoes, I happened to glance down at his feet, and his poor shoes looked near to bursting. When I checked them, I was abhorred to realize that his big toe was to the end (and then some) of his shoes. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to take him by the shoe store that afternoon...so yesterday, I sent him in sandals, without the change of tennis shoes. Somehow, I couldn't see torturing him with shoes way too small for something like taking his sandals off.

When I picked him up from school, his teacher told me that he had taken his sandals off a hundred times, if once...so I knew that we really needed to make time to go by the shoe store for a new pair of tennis shoes.

He didn't seem thrilled to try on new shoes...but when we got the right fit, he literally galloped through the store. He seemed excited. As if his feet were saying, "Finally!! FREEDOM!!"

And this morning, he took a look at his old tennis shoes and said, "BABY shoes." And promptly pointed to the new shoes on his feet and said, "BIG shoes!"

Proud parenting moment #562.
10 Comments:
Blogger Troy and Rachel said...
I had to crack up at this post! I'm having the hardest time with shoes. I have a small pair that slides on so easy but I think are too small and a bigger pair that I have to shove on that I think are too big. Hopefully I'll find the fit so my guy can gallop too!!! Great parenting moment and you should be proud!!

Blogger Maggie said...
I have a hard time with that, too. I can never tell if shoes fit Slugger right and he seems to think everything fits him when we're in the store. I can't tell you how many times he's been wearing new shoes and then tells me that they make his toes hurt. Frustrating.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
It is so hard to keep up with growing feet. Don't be surprised to find that in two months he will need another pair! With four boys under age 6 we have our share of - what do you mean your shoes won't go on your feet!!!
Just smile and remember that his feet are growing because he is a healthy little boy!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yea! for happy feet!!! Espcecially cute, sweet, little ones......
love and a hug,
"mom-mom"

Blogger Jane said...
Baby shoes....how adorable is THAT!?! You will love having your blog (Have you printed any of it yet???) to read back on these life moments. Freedom for all feet!!! :)

Blogger yorkiemom said...
I have the same problem, our little guys feet are growing so fast that I don't think to check the size (until his little toes are almost hanging off the edge of his sandals).

Let us all know your secret once you get the hang of shoe fitting.

That is so funny. I just had a shoe moment like that with Dmitry today. Time for the 6's I think.... Problem is, we only have sandals in 5 1/2. I have been way further behind than only a half size with the girls before though. It is a little embarassing to take them to the shoe store and have their measurement come in up to two whole sized larger than what you have them in. I loved the arbitrary #562. I'm sure I passed that number a long time ago!

Blogger Lindsay said...
'Baby shoes' and 'big shoes' - to cute :)

Blogger Joy said...
I can see myself doing the same thing.
Joy

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I hear ya, loud and clear on this! It's like, since OUR shoes never need to change size, why would THEIR'S?? :) I guess we'll get better at all of that as we go along. But just know...I suffer from that same issue, too! :)