We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Thursday, May 29, 2008
As we were getting ready this morning...
...I had dressed Iliya completely, and went to put on his tennis shoes.

He said, "No, no, Mama! Nana Chu, mama! Nana Chu!"

Yeah, your guess is as good as mine was.

Except, fortunately, Nathan was there to translate.

"No, no, Mama! Sandal-shoes, mama! Sandal-shoes!"

Yes, I had my first experience with the assertion of independence regarding wardrobe choices. And there was no reason not to let him wear his sandals, so I let him. Why not?
9 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Isn't it fun trying to decipher those words that seem to be in another language!!

I am right there with you!

Blogger Jane said...
it's only just begun...! There are some battles that just aren't worth fighting....and shoes most generally falls into that category.

I find that "can you show me?" works great. I work in the two year old nursery at church and sometimes I just can't understand the little ones. Takes a little more time to follow them to the item of their desire, but seeing their satisfaction is worth the effort.

Blogger Melissa said...
Absolutely! Shoes typically don't fit into the "worth it" category, when we are choosing those battles. :) And I use "show me" all the time with Iliya - he has learned to - if I don't get it the first couple times - figure out another way (pointing, pantomiming, choosing another word that I DO understand) to explain what he's trying to say. Makes me so proud!!

Oh dear...I'm not ready for this!! LOVE the pictures in your last post! Can he really get any cuter?!

Blogger Sira said...
He is becoming such a big boy!!! At least it was shoes

Anonymous Anonymous said...
That's what Sissy always thought when y'all would go to her house for your summer visit. I would send enough clothes for you to have a clean outfit everyday. Of course you had your favorites & she'd indulge you all & let you wear your favorite clothing & just wash them at night & be ready to go for the next day :o) She had lots of good practice "grandmothering" before her grandchildren came along :o)

Iliya picked out his shoes the weekend we stayed with him -- he wanted the little brown shoes & not his tennis shoes, so we selected his outfit to match his shoes. I've been taught well :o)

hugs, granmom

Blogger Jennefer said...
I am getting better at understanding Piney too. I usually have to take clues from hand gestures and other things that she says that I do understand. Good luck!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
It takes teamwork to figure out what these little kiddos are saying, that's for sure!! Last night, while in the bath, G was pointing up to the sink and saying "Pea-tan" ...um, ok! It took W and I about 5 min. before we realized he wanted the pink bath crayon that was up near the sink. OY!! I think he might have picked up some Korean on our flights home, or something. :) ha, ha Iliya looks adorable, as always! Getting to be such a big boy!! Hugs!

I'm glad one of you was able to translate! Dima has been wearing his sandal shoes too. They look so cute of him and I get to enjoy his baby feet more!