
The color did not turn out quite accurately on this photo. Can you tell what they are??
*
*
*
*
*
Blueberries!
When we moved into our house, over 3 years ago, there really was no work to be done. There was not a white wall in sight, and the house was in excellent shape. The backyard was even awesome, complete with a pretty large garden space...and 2 small blueberry bushes! The previous owners told us that they had just planted said bushes, and we should have fruit by the next year or two.
Unfortunately, one of the blueberry bushes passed away that winter...it just never bloomed the following spring. And from what I understand, a blueberry bush needs company - they cannot self pollinate. Which means that we probably would not be able to have blueberries.
Imagine our surprise, the next summer, when the lone blueberry bush actually produced a couple small berries! But before they could ripen, they were eaten by the birds. I guess that happened last year, too...but we were a bit busy, last year, to even notice.
Fast forward to this year...
Sunday afternoon, Nathan ran out to the garden to pull up a couple green onions for me and came back with a handful of beautiful, ripe blueberries. A few weeks ago, he had seen some unripe berries, but we figured that the birds might get them again this year. And we were excited to know that we were wrong! Of course, there were not enough for a batch of muffins, or even a bowl of oatmeal. So we decided to just eat them right then. And they were delicious!
I guess, maybe, there must be another blueberry bush in a nearby yard. In any case, the blueberries are not the fruits of our own labor...but the result of the labor of some very busy bees.
Also, I just read your previous post about your love for writing. I have always thought that you have a real knack for writing and describing things so perfectly. I believe that you could do very well if you ever chose to write columns, books, etc. You have my vote to really explore this option.
Glad to see that you all are doing well!
Take Care,
Kathy