We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Picture Tuesday
Here are pictures from the weekend - pumpkin hunting, de-seeding, & seed-eating.



PUMPKIN HUNTING
pumpkin hunting pumpkin hunting
pumpkin hunting pumpkin hunting
pumpkin hunting
can you imagine?! he didn't want to leave!


PUMPKIN SEED-ECTOMY
pumpkin seedectomy pumpkin seedectomy pumpkin hunting
pumpkin seedectomy
pumpkin seedectomy pumpkin seedectomy pumpkin seedectomy



YUMMY! - SEED EATING
pumpkin seed eating pumpkin seed eating




In other news, we received our video camera in the mail yesterday - last night, I worked on connecting it to our computer & realized that we do not have a firewire port on our computer. So I ordered a card/port & as soon as it comes in (assuming it works with our computer!), I should be able to upload more videos for you to see.

I got some great video last night, and in watching it after the little one went to bed, we realized just how far he has come in the past 3 months. He is hilarious (that much has not really changed, but he's become more purposeful in his hilariousness) and mischeivous (which, I enjoy, but sometimes drives me up the wall). His language has come so far - his words are becoming so much more intelligible, and with the help of signing, we understand him most of the time. We'll try to teach him something, he won't seem interested...and then 2 weeks later, he'll randomly start doing it. Body parts, for instance. One day, he was only interested in telling us where his nose was. We gave up on the rest of the body parts for a while and then one day, he randomly began telling us where his eyes, ears, hair, belly, etc. were. He's constantly putting his voicebox to use - we are gonna have a true talker on our hands.

We've also been working on jumping, lately. Last night, he finally got both feet off the ground without any help. This was huge for him, so he kept having to try it again. Of course, 7 times out of 10, he lands squarely on his behind...but I think the kid is becoming a jumping fool.

I am so pleased that he is making such strides in his development, but at the same time, it is killing me to know that he will continue to grow & develop so quickly! Part of me still wants the little baby we met back in March...I guess it's a fine line every parent walks - wanting their child to be right on track, if not a little ahead in their development...but at the same time, wanting to stack bricks on the child's head to keep them from growing too much. Of course, if we stacked bricks on this boy's head, that just might not be such a great idea - given that he is already on the vertically challenged side.

But I realized last night that I am now firmly in a "want him to grow - but not really so fast" stage of parenthood. I wonder if that stage ever really ends?
9 Comments:
Blogger Great Aunt Cheryl said...
Now aren't those just PRECIOUS! and tell me about it...you want them to grow & develop but before you know it you'll be registering him for college & helping him register with the selective service...it's bittersweet you know? I'm so proud of who Jake has become but at the same time I wonder where my baby went? But that's when we move into a new phase of our lives...all as God intended!

I don't think it ever does. My girls "Oh, Mom" me all the time because I am constantly correcting their words (said correctly) and reminding them of how they used to say it. It is a constant gradual seperation of them becoming less attatched and more independent. I was listening to an Adventures in Odyssey episode on the radio (the girls weren't even in the car with me) and it was about an oldest daughter headed off to college. I was bawling as I listened to her parents' hearts breaking as she drove away. It wasn't even a true life story but still I was so upset imagining how quickly the next 10 years will go and I will be in their place. It isn't fun but I always console myslef with the fact that I have been right here the whole time making the most of every age and stage and trying the best I can to "no regrets" parenting. I think there is no way around that pain though. Even though we are so happy to see them gain their wings at the same time!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I love the pictures - he's a true CCB (Combs-Cunningham-Bridges) - it just makes tears of JOY (related to your mom,huh) come to my eyes to see how much you two are enjoying being parents. I'm just sad that we haven't gotten to interact with him yet - but we will before too long.
The mention of Roasted Pumpkin Seeds in your last post reminded me that when I was little - some 50 years ago - they sold Pumpkin Seeds - but they were SO salty - we just used to eat the salt off them and discard them - I remember going to the Custard Stand and getting a box of them - I'm sure yours are much better -
As for babies growing up - they do it too fast - babies, then grandbabies, then greatgrandbabies - just ask Mamaw.

Love, Sis

Anonymous Anonymous said...
NO, this stage doesn't end...if anything, it get's worse and passes faster and faster!!!

Cute, cute pictures! Love the one of him laying on the ground! Those bring back some serious memories!!! (0:

Love,
Andrea

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
I don't know how it's possible, but he keeps getting cuter and cuter and cuter!!! What a hilarious little kid. :-)

Blogger Chris said...
You can see the changes in the pictures you posted of Little I compared to when you brought him home. Your love is obviously doing great things for him!

Blogger Carey and Norman said...
Catching up with the last few posts. Iliya is so adorable and I loved the pumpkin photos. Thanks for the recipe too. I had forgotten how to bake them. We've bought a few pumpkins to carve this weekend, so we will have to try out your recipe!

I loved the blog on Iliya's sleeping acrobatics. Too funny. Our son is like a little oven. Not only does he kick, but he sweats and burns us out of our own bed.

I can't wait to see pictures of Iliya in his Halloween costume. It is getting close!!

Blogger Susan said...
Too cute! Look at those fine motor skills he has with the little pumpkin seeds. His face is starting to look more and more like a little boy every day. He's really adorable.

Blogger junglemama said...
My nine year old daughter ate the raw pumpkin too.

Your son is absolutely adorable. :)