We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Monday, October 08, 2007
A New Child
I went to bed, last night, with the crawly skin feeling...and sure enough, around midnight, woke up with a full blown fever - accompanied by the usual chills, cold/hot feeling, achiness, and ah, yes, stomachache. I ended up taking off work today, mainly because of my lack of good sleep. But everytime I felt like I was feeling better and I got up and tried to do something productive, I would start feeling bad again. As of right now, I'm feeling somewhat better, if a little gross for staying cooped up all day.

But that's neither here nor there.

I came to tell you about my child. This will be a bit difficult to explain, because - in the grand scheme of things - our transition has been relatively easy (for which I am ever grateful). But for lack of a better explanation, there has been a change in Iliya that I had not really noticed until ...well, this past weekend. Bear with me - I will try to explain, though I don't know how effective I will be.

His attachment is still very solid, but he has really started extending himself toward other people -- people that we know & have a connection with (not just any stranger on the street). He is becoming more & more comfortable with hanging out by himself (i.e., without us in the exact same room) with close friends and family. He still loves making people laugh...so this is not such a new child. But it's a whole new "extroverted" that we seem to be seeing. If someone is telling a funny story or joke, and everyone else laughs, Iliya laughs, as though he "gets" the joke or fully appreciates (or understands!) the story.

We've always thought that Iliya was a wonderful child...but lately, it's been a different sort of "wonderful." He has been a true joy, and so much easier all around. He hasn't started talking, per se, but he has really opened up & become able to communicate his needs and wants (for instance, he'll take us by the hand and show us whatever it is that he wants us to see). When he gets upset...we are now able to more effectively redirect him & help him get past the upset and into "okay." (this is also often true in the throes of a meltdown). Instead of getting totally upset when he stumbles or when a toy gets away from him, he has started saying "Whooooooaaaaa!" and "Uh-oh!"

He may not completely understand consequences when I outline them for him before he does something...but when I say, "you know, if you pop that balloon, its going to scare you..." he at least seems to pay attention to my speaking the words.

He is becoming so much more tolerant of food prep (if he's really hungry, he will still whine some, but nothing like the screaming child we brought home from Russia). He is sleeping in his bed and seems to be more & more comfortable in that bed.

He still enjoys being with us, but he will play for short amounts of time - in a room without us (which can sometimes be a bad thing - remember the toilet paper incident?). But the key here is that he is learning to be more independent and not 100% reliant on us for every single thing - including his happiness.

His personality is just flourishing every day. So is his mischievousness.

And every day he shows us that he is making connections and some of the connections - or things he says - are hilarious. We look at pictures, and he often identifies objects & people - either by their name or by something he associates with them. You can see the wheels turning as he tries to solve a problem. He has really begun experimenting with the world around him (for instance - would the dog make a good stepstool to help me get up on the couch? - or - I wonder what would happen if I put my toy at the top of this slide and let go.)

It's nothing that I can really pinpoint or effectively explain, because as I have proofread this, I think "well, he's been doing a lot of this for a while now," but in a strange sort of way, it's all a little different now. A good different.

For some reason - I thought I was a pretty happy mom. But this weekend, I've realized that I've become a very happy mom. And I think it is because Iliya is really branching out - and while he still obviously needs me - I am better able to relate to him, and feel like I can actually do things with him. He's more inquisitive and doesn't think everything is food. He likes to snuggle, but also likes to play with the blocks while I am doing dishes.

Now, we still have our days but overall, it's a pretty happy time right now. It's a general feeling I have of this change, so I apologize that I haven't done a very good job explaining it. But for happiness, I'm really thankful.

And now, a few pictures from the weekend. Here is Iliya, hanging out & playing (in the laundry basket) ...and then sitting with dad, watching his favorite movie - the only television he will watch, "King Cole's Party." (<--click for more info)




Iliya Iliya
Iliya Iliya Iliya
15 Comments:
Blogger Great Aunt Cheryl said...
*singing* Polly put the kettle on, Polly put the kettle on, Polly put the kettle on, the King would like some tea. I remember us watching that first when y'all were little and then we passed it on to Jake when he was little...I still find myself singing the songs from Wee Sing...those are such wonderful memories...

I can't wait till next week! I hope it works out to see y'all Thursday night...I'm starving to see the little guy...and y'all too *wink*

Blogger adoptedthree said...
I have three words to say:::

SWEET SWEET SWEET

What a honey of a baby he is.

Blogger Elle said...
I remember that moment. You wake up one day and wham! new kid.

It seems like Iliya has adjusted very well in a very short amount of time. He sounds like such a funny little guy! I would love to see him before a meal!

By the way, what is "King Cole's Party?"

Blogger Bethney said...
Everytime I see his precious face it makes me smile. The next time we're in town I HAVE to see him and get my hands on his sweet face!! Iliya and Vinny are the cutest lil boy's I have EVER seen....seriously.

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
HA! I see that little kitty cat of yours sitting in the corner looking like "that little person is still here???" :-) I'm SO glad you are so happy. You have such a special little boy and are such a great mom. I would love to see him laugh when he "gets" jokes... hehehe... I can picture it!

Blogger Chris said...
Wow! What an amazing post. We are so happy for you and your new family. It is so wonderful to see everything going so well!

Best Wishes,
Chris and Danica

That is so cool. It was such a long journey of faith and now all the pieces are fitting together so well. I think how you have seemed to try and make things non-issues has helped Iilya be more settled and adjusted faster. I think especially as first time parents there is always the temptation to overanalyze and obsess over every little thing. Add the adoption element and a parent could go crazy, and yet you and Nathan have been so steady - I think you are reaping the benefits of that now in your son's settledness. By the way, we have the same laundry basket!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Being sick, you've had a little more time to reflect about your last several weeks of motherhood. You have reached the real value of "motherhood" when you realize the joy and happiness that your child brings to you and family. M,B,K and K really enjoyed their visit with you - they loved the "animal sounds". Kyle was showing me how he "moo's" last night. Such a joy! And I loved the pic of your dad's hand and his in the sandbucket. I was looking at his school pics - how adorable - those little chubby cheeks - so serious looking at times - such a sweetie. Hope you're better, too.
Love, Sis

Anonymous Anonymous said...
He's doing so well! He's comforable in his new home and it's showing more and more. It's weird watching them change and grow — weird but awesome! I am loving the laundry basket!!!

Blogger Unknown said...
Your family is bonding more and more each day! Love to see it! (or, well, read about it)

Blogger Jane and Jim said...
You did an excellent job of explaining how he's developing - it sounds like he's so comfortable now and ready to take on more!
He's just adorable.
Love the pic of him on the phone - so serious!

Blogger Joy said...
What a beautiful boy. I do not know what you do for a living but writing should be on your horizon. Thank you for sharing these special moments.
Joy

Blogger Jane said...
sounds like mommy is settling in, with a big smile on her face, to motherhood. I'm so happy that you are enjoying your little guy. He does sound like he has an adorable personality.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Just one more comment - about the halloween costume - I bet it's NOT Winnie the Pooh or Tigger, too! And only girls can be Piglet (KK was last year). And he's definitely not an Eeyore......maybe Owl - Whooooooo, whooooooooo. While I'm typing this I'm looking at Iliya in the "laundry basket" and thinking - what an imagination - and enjoying something so simple - it's the time he's getting to spend with his Dad that's so important.
love, sis