We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Thursday, September 20, 2007
Sound Asleep *updated*
I checked on my boy right before I left for lunch, and he was sound asleep, sucking his little knuckle. His teacher said the most difficult thing was to get him to lay still - he's used to having a big bed to roll around on, so the cot is an adjustment. Today, it's not "bless his heart." It is now "Bless my heart." I cried all the way to Target, thinking how far Iliya has come. We watched video last night, of our first trip - and what a little (big) baby he was! His hair has gotten so thick - even since we got home - and he is really looking more like a chubby little boy, rather than a baby. It makes me sad that he is growing up already, right before my eyes!

Today is the 2nd month anniversary of Gotcha Day. Since we picked him up on July 20th, I'm the only one that he has allowed to put him down for sleep & naps. So I'm happy he went to sleep without a hitch, but it's becoming more apparent that he is able to rely more on himself and less on me. This is a good thing...but at the same time, a little sad for me.

I'm anxious to see how long he sleeps and how he wakes up from his nap. But for now, it's time to get back to work for my last hour today.

*Here's the update*

When I went to pick Iliya up a couple minutes after 2:00, he was still asleep & just stirring when I walked in the door. His teacher said he fell off his cot once (oops, I forgot to tell them he was a very active sleeper!) and bumped his head. That woke him up but after crying for a couple minutes, he went back to sleep. They put pillows on the side of his cot, just incase it happened again. When he woke up, I changed him, and we were on our way back down to my office. After showing off for everyone at the office, we headed home, and are now awaiting dad's arrival.

So far, it's been a good day.
13 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm so glad he's adjusting, but I know how mixed your feelings are right now. You want him to stay a baby, but he's growing up right before your eyes. And I know you know how importaint him becoming self reliant is. It doesn't make it any easier though. (((Hugs))), but YAY for Iliya :-)
Katie

I understand your sadness. I can't believe what a big boy Owen has become in just 10 weeks at home. I looked back at some pictures when we first came home and could hardly believe how small he was, and then when I see what a little baby he was in February when we met him, it does make me sad sometimes. Isn't it amazing though how far they've come?!!

Blogger Jane and Jim said...
I cannot believe it's been 2 months already - wow time really does fly (which is good right now since we're in the waiting stage!).
While you're crying, just remember all the good you're doing for him - you're raising him to be a little self-reliant, individual - and doing a great job at it too!

Blogger Ginger said...
You and Nathan are doing such a great job raising a healthy, smart, secure boy who is learning how to depend on you and himself at the same time. So glad to know this week has gone well for him (and you, too). Love you!

Blogger ~Telah said...
Welcome to parenthood! We want them to grow up and become independent, but we still want them to be our babies! I know this feeling all too well, and I sympathize totally with your crying trip to Target.

Blogger Susan said...
Iliya sounds like he is doing great with the adjustment to school and his teachers sound like they are very caring. You have the perfect arrangement!

Blogger Jane said...
my heart breaks for you...seeing him grow up so fast hurts!

TWO months!!! Where has the time gone?!?!?

I am praising Jesus that he is adjusting to his new schedule. Most times they adjust so much quicker than we grownups!

Target? I'm so jealous. I love that store. I've heard rumors that we are getting one up here in Anchorage but they've been saying hte same thing about Victoria Secret for years too. Lucky you! Oh well, look at how much money I'm probably saving! :)

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
The poor little boy rolled out of bed?? Awww... I'm glad they put pillows there, the poor little thing. He is definitely growing up but remember that he will ALWAYS need his mama. :-) You've done such a great job with him!

Blogger MandyJo013078 said...
Melissa -
I'm so glad that Iliya is adjusting to school so well! I hope they keep the pillows there so he doesn't roll off of his cot again! I can't believe you've had him for 2 months now that doesn't seem possible. I'm so happy for you!

Blogger Robin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Blogger Robin said...
Way to Go Iliya! It is so hard wathing our babies grow up. I can't believe its already been 2 months.

Blogger Carey and Norman said...
He is so cute going to school. What a sweet little boy. Loved the frog jacket and I'm so glad to hear that Iliya is adjusting to school so well. I know that makes it much easier on you.

Glad to hear that things are going well.