We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Wednesday, September 05, 2007
Labor Day Weekend: a family weekend
Labor Day weekend was a really good weekend. We had such a great time visiting with family. There is so much to tell about, but I think I am going to just post some pictures and pretty much use them as the vehicle to tell about the weekend.

So let's start, shall we?

Friday night, we stayed at my parents' house. We've gone back & forth on what we'll try to get Iliya to call them - and we've sorta set on GrandMom & GrandDad. My brother has decided that my dad should be Pops...but I guess we'll see what Iliya picks up on first. But I digress. We stayed with them on Friday night, had a good time playing before bedtime, and then Saturday morning, we headed over to Nathan's grandmother (Mawmaw)'s house for breakfast. I'm not a big breakfast cooker, so Iliya got his first taste of a huge southern breakfast, and he LOVED it. He ate (and would've continued eating) and when he was finished, he went outside. My child is an outside sorta guy, and he loved looking at his new cousins' horses...he really got a little upset, though, that he couldn't go through the electric fence to pet them!


Iliya
taste-testing the bacon to make sure it's okay

Iliya
going out with Papa to look at the horses

Iliya
hanging out with Nana & cousin Alex on the front porch

Iliya
exhausted from the early morning & all the playing

Then, we headed back to my parents' house. My brother (Uncle Christopher) got in the little pool with Iliya and they had a blast. I have several great pics from this, so it was hard to pick out which one(s) to use.

Iliya Iliya Iliya
swimming with Uncle Christopher




Iliya
granddad had fun watching me

Iliya
then he took me in to help me eat some lunch

After playing in the pool and lunch, I laid Iliya down for a nap. He had a little trouble going to sleep, mainly because of all the stuff around him he had never seen before. He wanted to look instead of sleep but his eyes finally got heavy and off to sleep he went. He woke up about an hour & fifteen minutes later, screaming. He must've forgotten where he was, and he was scared. But mom & dad (oh, and granddad) to the rescue, and all was fine again.

That evening, my grandmother (Mamaw) had everyone over for supper. We had BBQ & all the fixin's. One of my longest friends, Allison, and her husband, JT came over for a little while, too. It was really nice to see them! We ate, and then Iliya went outside (no surprise there!) to play with his Aunt Sarah, cousin Jake, & uncle Paul. While Nathan & I visited with Allison, JT, & the rest of my family inside, my aunt Cheryl snapped some pics for me.

Iliya
playing frisbee with my cousin jake

Iliya
ooooh! I found the rocks!

After a fun time, it was time to head back to gmom & gdad's house to go to bed. I am happy to say that Iliya slept through entire night, until about 6:00, so we all got some pretty good sleep that night. The next day, Sunday, we went out to Ft. Payne (sock capital of the world!) to go to church with & visit with some of my dad's family. We haven't seen them in almost 2 years so it was really great to go to church out there with them.

Iliya
being silly with aunt sarah (lala)

Iliya
the entire fam (easter may've been the last time we were all together - and even then, Iliya wasn't with us)

Iliya
the new grandparents

Iliya
eating sweet potatoes. granddad really loves to watch me eat!

After we ate lunch, we headed back to Nathan's parents house. Iliya tried to take a nap on the way out there - he did sleep about 45 minutes, but it was "carseat sleep," so it wasn't very good. He was a cranky monster when we got to his Nana & Papa's house. I went inside with him & rocked him, hoping he'd go back to sleep for a little bit. He dozed, but kept waking up & crying (well, sleep-crying). So I took him to the back bedroom, where he dozed - and then, sat up, looked at me, and with wide, happy eyes, signed "bath." So I guess nap/doze time was overwith. That evening, we went to church w/ N's parents & Iliya got to meet even more family and friends. We went to eat at McDonald's for dinner - and then we were back off to Nana & Papa's house. Iliya had a bath & then played for a little while longer before bedtime. It took him roughly 45 seconds to fall asleep, and he was out until about 2:00 a.m., when he got in bed with us. He was up by 7:30 & ready to go back to Mawmaw's for breakfast.

(I should stop here, and say Happy Birthday to my sister, Sarah (Lala)! And thank her for staying in town this weekend!! Love you, sis!)

Nathan's cousins were back in town, so after breakfast, we all went outside to look at the horses again. They turned the fence off, and we crawled over it to get closer to the horses (if you know me, you know that I am a horse fanatic. i've always wanted one, and take every opportunity afforded to me to pet and/or ride one). I just knew that once Iliya got closer, the horses would seem really large, and he would become afraid.

Not so. Not one little bit.

In fact, he couldn't wait to get up on one. It was the wildest thing. My camera wasn't cooperating, so Nathan didn't get the picture of Iliya reaching down to hug the horse as he sat ontop of it. But he wanted to stay out with the horses - he was pretty upset when we finally said it was time to leave the horses & go somewhere else. Hmmm...that's my boy!

Iliya
oooh, petting the horsie!

Iliya
click on this picture to see the expression on Iliya's face.

After the horse experience, we all did the Southern thing & retired to the front porch. Iliya had the best time, playing - going up & down the stairs, and playing in the dirt with his big cousin Katie.

Iliya
swinging with Nana

Iliya
Ooh! Here's a doll swing - but it's just big enough for me!

Iliya
hangin' out with the guys

Iliya
getting cousin tommy to help me up the stairs

Iliya
back to mom & dad for a few minutes

Iliya
playing in the dirt & rocks with big cousin Katie

After quite a bit of time playing, it was time to return to Nana & Papa's. We played for a little bit & ate a delicious lunch, and then Iliya laid down for a nap. After nap, he played for a little while longer, and then it was time to head toward home. On our way out of town, we stopped to see Papa's new boat.

Iliya
playing with my new puppet!

Iliya
Hey Nana!

Iliya
really, reallllllly wanting to get down IN the water. being held is for sissies.

That was the short version...but I can honestly say that it was a fantastic weekend!! Iliya loves each of his grandparents - and each of his grandparents also seems very besotted with him - for all of that, I am very thankful!!

We were really glad that it was a long weekend, so we could get lots of visiting in. We have this cool feature on our car, where you can time a trip. During this weekend, Iliya spent a total of 11 hours in his carseat. He was a trooper through it all! I'm not sure what we'll do whenever we only have a regular weekend to play with - it's hard, knowing that we're often on the road more than we actually get to stay in one place, visiting with family. But we do what we can with what time we have, I suppose!

Now, it's time for you all to take the cue from my son and sign a big "Thaaaank Yooouu" because you are FINALLY updated on the happenings of our Labor Day weekend!

16 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Thank you for posting about the weekend! I have been checking the past few days to see how the adventures were at home and to see how Iliya did around so many people...sounds like he did just great! :) Thanks for adding so many pictures! :) You have inspired me to do better on my own blog!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
It gives me chills and brings tears to my eyes when I see pictures of Iliya bonding with his new family. You would never know he hasn't been with you since birth. You are truly a beautiful and blessed family. Oh, as cute as Iliya is.....that shirt really wasn't! ;c)

Katie

Blogger Unknown said...
The shirt was the best part of the pictures, except for Iliya himself!! Roooollllll Tide Roll! Uncle Patrick was tickled to see the shirt he found for Iliya in the pictures, too. We hated to miss the weekend, so we'll definitely try to hit home with you guys next time.

So, glad you had fun, though! Lots of love, Ki Ki

Anonymous Anonymous said...
It was a marvelously, fantastic, super-cali-fragilistic-expi-ali-docious weekend! (that passed by way too quickly!) When we were in what will be our playroom (once remodeling is finally complete), he signed for me to help him with a box that was stacked on top of other boxes so that he could see what was in it (& probably to empty it :o) & it was so precious! Naturally, Melissa said "no" that he didn't need to dump any more toys in the floor, yet, that grandmotherly temptation came over me to do it anyway -- but I behaved & obeyed Iliya's mommy. Bless his heart, he must have walked a dozen miles in the house, just exploring one spot & then another....and one of us pretty much followed him each step he took because we are not baby-proofed...didn't want him to get hurt -- we'll work on that before next visit...altho' it was a joy watching him has he explored.

We sure look forward to another visit!....guess we'll be making the trek to Toosaloosa a little more often, too :o)

love & hugs,
grandmom & granddad

I have just found your blog! I love reading it! You new son is so cute. My husband and I are also adopting from Russia thru CHI. We are adopting from the Tver Region. We are in the wait phase. You have such good advice. Thanks for being so detailed in your postings!!

Blogger Robin said...
Wow, I am really impress with how well he did with so many new faces. You and Nathan are doing such a great job.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I have to know- where did you get the shirt? I will seriouosly go out and buy one for my future first born. And as always, he is a doll!
-April Thomas

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yea!!! and THAAAANK YOOUUU! The update on the great weekend is much appreciated. I love how happy your son is with his great big, happy family! Thanks be to God for His wonderful blessings!
Hallelujah!
Pam Parker

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
I love all of the pictures! Sounds like it was a great family weekend and Iliya was the star! :-) Thank you for sharing!

Blogger Jane and Jim said...
What a sweet angel-pie you have! He seems so happy and social. You guys are raising a wonderful, fantastic little man. It's great to read all about it!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
This may sound strange, but I feel the need to squish him. :) Iliya looks so happy!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
What awesome photos of your weekend. They left me with a "See, this is what life is all about" feeling- spending time with family eating good food and having fun! So glad that you had a fabulous time!

Blogger MandyJo013078 said...
Melissa - what cute pictures and it looks like you all had a great time! I'm so glad that your family got to spend so much time w/ your precious boy! Have a great week :)
MandyJo

Blogger Great Aunt Cheryl said...
For those who have not had the wonderful opportunity to meet Iliya in "real life" let me tell you...he is absolutely precious & adorable! You can't help but want to kiss & love on him! I'm blessed to be his Great Aunt Cheryl (Melissa's aunt) and let me tell you...you just want to eat him up!!!

Blogger Jane said...
1st... hearing you talk about Ft. Payne makes me homesick for my friends that we knew when we lived in Huntsville!

2nd.. nothing like a grandpa watching his grandson eat. Says alot about your dad's heart! (I see it with my dad and Nikita when he visits)

3rd... the three of you are such a beautiful family! God is sooo good!

Blogger Unknown said...
You know, those pictures with Christopher really bring back memories for me! I have pictures of Natalie in her little pool on our back deck with Uncle Nathan sitting in it and playing with her. Good times...

Love, Aunt KiKi