Thanks for the reminder that I haven't posted since Tuesday! I'm really tired right now, so a short update is probably all I'm good for...and hopefully I will be able to post a longer one tomorrow.
Lest you think that my child went to the highest bidder on ebay, I assure you, he did not. I told my mom that sometimes it's good to hear other people say that they get to the point of crazy with frustration w/ their kids. I guess I feel like, since we have wanted a child for so long...and have worked so hard & invested so much in Iliya's adoption, that it is almost ungrateful of me to get frustrated with him. I know that's silly, because life can be frustrating in general, but it's still the way I feel sometimes. And then I feel guilty, because I wonder if we had had him from birth, if I would get less frustrated b/c of all the time we would've had together. And then mom said that there were times she could've stuck us all in the garbage can at one point or another...and I realized that biological, adopted, or whatever...our kids will push us and sometimes make us crazy. But the key is to love them, and work on patience. That has been my prayer this week. To have patience and know how to deal with whatever frustrations are present at any given moment.
And the great update is that our week has gotten progressively better. Wednesday was an okay day...I was still feeling pretty crappy, but we made it through. And today was a really good day. Yesterday, I decided to pull out Iliya's little turtle sandbox and - instead of filling it with sand - I filled it with water. Yes, he had his first pooltime experience. And he loved it. At first, he couldn't figure out the deal with getting in water with clothes still on his body...but then he decided it wasn't so bad because the water still splashes the same!
Here are a few pics from his first water adventure:
A few things I have learned:
- Diapers leak during the night. We have changed so many sheets. But lo and behold, a diaper sold exclusively at W@lmart is the key to our dry-at-night success!! Hooray!
- Little boy clothes and shoes are hard to come by. T@rget has 3 aisles of cute little girl shoes and one side of an aisle of little boy shoes that aren't so cute. Makes me ill.
- There are cute little boy clothes at specialty stores, but this mama ain't payin' $72 for a romper that will fit her child for a month at the most. Even if it was reallllly cute and would be perfect for football season.
- I guess I really need to learn to sew. I have the equipment...I guess that $72 was my motivation.
Iliya now knows how to sign "bath." In fact, he seems to understand that "bath" means "to wash." Last night, he was in the bathtub playing, and he looked at me, pointed to the washcloth and signed, "more, please, bath." So we washed, rinsed, and got out of the tub.
Today, he was fussing about something, wanting more of whatever it was. I didn't know what he wanted 'more' of, until he made the sign for "drink." I said, ohhhhhhhh, okay! And I went to find his sippy cup with water in it. He took a drink, crumpled his face, shook his head with an emphatic "NO" and did the sign for drink again. So I deduced that he wanted some juice. Since he hadn't pooped all day, I went ahead & gave him some plum juice. Made him happy. No tears. Of course, still no poop... but you win some & lose some, I suppose. I hope this doesn't mean a blowout tomorrow!!
I have a very gassy child. I think he may be the gassiest in the world. And not only is he gassy, but he stinks. Nathan made the comment, tonight, that he's really worried about what Iliya is going to smell like in 10 years, if he smells this bad right now!
Tonight, we had some new friends over. Right before we left on our 2nd trip, we learned of another couple in town who is using our agency...and actually waiting for their invitation to travel for their first trip...to Vladivostok! I thought that was pretty cool - and we wanted to get together before we left for our trip, but it didn't work out. So we made plans & got together tonight...they came over & we grilled out. We had a great time - and Iliya seemed to enjoy the company, too! So, Josh & Leslie, I know you read...it was great to meet you tonight & we can't wait to see you again soon!!
And that turned out longer than I had planned. Probably not as detailed as I might normally write. But...for tonight, that's all, folks!
It gets so much better. I adopted my little girl from Vlad in 2003 and I was actually at the Vlad Inn when yall were there just a few weeks ago visiting her sister on my first trip. Anyway the first two months at home were so far the hardest time in my life. I just want you to know it does pass. They get to know you and your rules, likes and dislikes, and you theres and everything just melds together. I remember the first month back, waking up in the morning thinking how I love this child but I am not very happy with my life at present. It passes and you will forget it until you read someone else is going through it. Trust me it gets wonderful. Oh there are challenges, and sometimes you feel like a train just ran over you, but you regroup and think how you will handle it the next time, and you just get better at anticipating and getting control of the situation before it even happens. Lots of prayer for Godly wisdom helped and helps me daily. Never 2nd guess yourself, you are the mom and you know whats best whether you think you do or not.
Best Wishes, Julie
I have had luck at Kohl's, if you have one close by. I was able to get 2 jeans and 2 shirts for $20. You just have to watch the sales.
Best of luck,
Carrie Missaggia
Love, Nana & Papa
Kids are going to drive you crazy - it's just the way things go.. my sister's baby IV always drives her crazy and doesn't let her get any sleep. We still love her though. I've even offered to keep IV so that my sister AJ can get some sleep! Just remember if you get to the point where you need a break don't be afraid to ask for help! You are doing great and Iliya is growing and getting cuter by the day. Also a tip for the sheets on his crib - go to walmart and pick up 2 waterproof matress pads. Then what you do is layer them on the mattress - ie: the mattress, a waterproof pad, a sheet, a waterproof pad, a sheet. Then in the middle of the night when you have to change Iliya because he has a diaper blow out - you can rip off the pad and sheet throw that in the laundry w/ the pjs. and you have a clean bed for your baby! Just a tip I learned w/ twins! Good luck and let me know if there is anything else I can help you with! Good luck! MandyJo
Try Sears for some cute boy stuff. I found Oleg's sandals and another pair of shoes there. My MIL always buys clothes for him there. She's also a champ at finding some of the best stuff on the sales racks at Macy's.
Girl! Get on Ebay!!!! You will find a ton of boutique and name brand clothes there for next to nothing. I've purchased monogrammed AU outfits for $20. As for the frustration....you will have it more often than you care to and it doesn't matter how long you've had with your child. It happens - no worries :-)
~Katie
We use Sam's Club diapers and they are the only ones that don't leak on Owen!! Owen was super gassy for the first 4-6 weeks but has gotten much better as he's adjusted to the food we feed him. We use off-brand gas drops before he drinks milk too and that seems to help.
I totally agree with you about boys' clothes at Target! I love cute rompers and smocked clothes, but I just can't pay $72 either, especially with the way Owen is growing!
We enjoyed meeting you guys the other night also. We had a good time and really enjoyed dinner. Little I is so cute. We look forward to having you guys come to our home next time. Hope we didn't stay too long and cause any problems for Little I or you guys.
Josh & Leslie
jen
On clothes for Ilya, you should send me your sizes and likes. We live less than five minutes from huge outlet mall and we purchase all our stuff at OshKosh, Carters and Heart Strings. They have a sale at least once a month and everything is super cheap. I'd be happy to pick up some things and send them out to you. You've got my contact information. Please don't hesitate to ask.
Ronda