And I forgot my camera.
Oh well, I'll tell you about it quickly.
Lunch went well...getting there? Well, not so well. Bless Iliya's heart, he was very tired & getting hungry by the time we left the house. I was hoping he would sleep on the 45 minute car ride to N's work, but I made one tiny mistake. I should've fed him a little snack before we left. Instead, I gave him a few crackers in the car. He kept wanting more, and I just wasn't going to let him gorge himself on crackers right before lunch.
So some major crying ensued. And it really got out of control really quickly...even his juice (which is usually a good distraction) wouldn't do anything for him. He quickly got to a point where he was screaming & couldn't calm himself, which was making me very frustrated while trying to drive. I finally stopped at a gas station, got him out of his car seat and held him until he calmed down.
Once he was calm, I strapped him back in the carseat, gave him his juice (which he was still not really interested in), turned on his little caterpillar, and then we were on our way. He was OUT like a light in about 30 seconds. I called Nathan to tell him we would be about 10 minutes late. He was fine with that.
N's office is in a pretty small, but quaint, town. As his secretary pointed out to me, there are not very many eating places in this town, but that didn't bother me. We went to a little restaurant on the town square (called just that, "Restaurant on the Square"), where there was a little buffet to eat from.
At first, we didn't see anything we thought Iliya would like, but then we decided to just give some of the things a try. It was definitely a "Southern cookin" buffet so it was greasy (which is something - grease - we don't eat a lot of at home) ...I'm not sure I'm so excited about Iliya's diaper later on...but he sure passed the test & proved himself as a true Southerner!
He ate:
chili mac
fried green tomatoes
cucumbers
fried catfish
cornbread
coleslaw
ham
baked beans
couple pieces of corn
cake
That sounds like a lot, but he really got more of a 'sampler' than anything. We fixed him a little bit of several things, and he ate them right up! And from the chili mac, his face was completely red (that's when I wished I'd had my camera).
Once we were finished, Nathan went back to work, and Iliya & I headed home. It was a short visit, but I was with a little boy that severely needed a nap. We got home and it took him a little while to actually go to sleep. But he's now napping and, I'm sure, working up an appetite for supper.
Isn't the B.E. Caterpillar the greatest invention ever?! Owen loves his too! He doesn't do too well if I wait very long to feed him either, especially when he's sleepy too. Smart idea pulling over to calm Iliya down before continuing your trip!
Hope you have a great weekend!
Adrienne