We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Monday, August 06, 2007
Farewell from Moscow
This will be my last post from Russia. We run out of internet in a few hours, so I wanted to go ahead & post our farewell.

I absolutely cannot believe that we have almost come to the end of The Road Home. We went to the U.S. Embassy today...the final official stop before we leave. We got Iliya's visa and other documents that will be necessary for his immigration, when we arrive in Atlanta. The finality of everything hit me, when another adoptive parent, after receiving her older children's visas, exclaimed, "hey kiddos, this is your ticket to America!" And I guess that's about it. In less than 36 hours, my child will be an American citizen.

As I pack, Iliya puts toys in & out of a bag. I am overcome with emotion, and he just wants the toys in the bag...or another pear...or the camera from the table. I'm sure he understands that his life has changed, but it won't be until he is a little older that he really understands how his (and our!) life has changed.
So that's it. In the morning, we will head to the airport, and board the plane headed to Atlanta. It's amazing that we are almost "home."

Thank you very much for all your well-wishes and prayers...keep on praying for us, especially that the flight goes well tomorrow and that we make it home safely. We cannot wait till our plane lands in Birmingham...we are so looking forward to seeing all our friends and family!






And, well...as they say on Apollo 13, so long...catch you on the flipside.

22 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hope you get this before you don't have internet. We wish you God's speed on your way home. We cannot wait to see you tomorrow night!!
Love you all bunches,
Nana & Papa

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I don't really know what to say except that we continue to pray for God's blessings! I was just telling a mom yesterday that had just left her 1st year college student 4 hours from home, that if your child is happy then you can be happy...so, to say the least, we're extra very happy! and we are all so very excited about tomorrow evening!

See you then...
much love,
mom & dad

Blogger Jane said...
His shirt says it all...

Praying for your flight HOME!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Melissa and Nathan,
Not a day has gone by that I haven't been captivated by your story. I'm teary-eyed right now with joy for what is to come for you and your new family life. I hope a visit to meet up in ATL or Montgomery will be forthcoming, whenever you and Iliya are ready. I would love to meet your son and see first hand what I've always known to be true--what a wonderful mother you are!

Blogger Valerie said...
Congrats and best of luck to you with your new little one. He is adorable!

Now the journey REALLY begins...

Blogger Carey and Norman said...
Many blessings and prayers are with you on your return to the States. Loved the pictures at Red Square. What an adorable family you have.

Blogger Danigirl said...
Yeah! I am so happy for the 3 of you. I am sure you are ready to jump on that bird right now and fly you home. I am so so so happy and excited for you. Chris and I will continue to pray for you both and your wonderful future together.

Truly, Danica

Blogger Sira said...
Hooray and guess what- the teal journey is about to start!

Blogger Suz said...
So happy for you all! Oh it will be so nice to be home, your bed will never have felt more comfortable!!

Blogger Jane said...
less than 24 hours!!!! Praise Jesus!

Blogger Deb said...
Praying for safe travels home and for Iliya to do well with the long trip (and you and Nathan).
Your post brings a tear to my eye. Knowing that it really does happen. That there really is an end to this journey.
I'm so glad you're almost home.

Oh, I couldn't help but have tears in my eyes as I read your post. Isn't this such a wonderful feeling? You are leaving Russia and taking your child, YOUR child, home forever and ever. It's so beautiful I can't help but have so much joy and emotion for you.

Your bed WILL feel so good, and it may be tough for a while as you all adjust to the time difference and Iliya's new home, but you will get through it and you will feel like you've always been together.

It's such a wonderful feeling when you get home and walk off the plane with your child. I wish we could be there to greet you. We are looking forward to getting the boys together and meeting in person someday!

Blogger Robin said...
I second what Kris said.....I pray for your safe trip home.

Blogger Jane said...
If I am close to my calculations... You should be over American soil at this point!!! WOOOO HOOOO to our awesome God that has brought Little I home to be with his forever mommy and daddy!

Seeing you guys with him in pictures is beautiful!

Ilya is so precious. I love seeing his little face with so much character looking back at me from my monitor. I can't imagine how precious he must be to behold in real life. I'm sure all the flight personel will take one look at that little face and bend over backward to make you all comfortable! God bless you on your final journey home. (Your next trip can be anywhere you want and probably much less expensive.)

Blogger adoptedthree said...
I just had a chance to catch your blog and WOW what a cutie!!!! OHHH he is a doll baby. Congrads and enjoy your son.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm not exactly sure why I'm checking your blog right now!(Tuesday @ 12:20p.m. cst) I read it twice last night! I guess just on a whem that you might amazingly have access to the internet in the Mid-Atlantic!!!(0: I'm sitting here watching the hours tic by until it's to to leave for the airport! Can't wait to see y'all home, safe and sound!

Love,
Andrea

Blogger Jane said...
I am with Andrea... the excitement is killing me! Can't wait to see the first home post!

Blogger Aubrey said...
Welcome to the flip side, Bridges Family!!! Looking forward to hearing about all the nifty stuff that is bound to be taking place in your daily routines from here on out!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
What a wonderfully, marvelous homecoming!!! Wish I could post pics in the comments. Iliya had already won our hearts from the pics & video you shared while in-country both times...he can be sure that he has them for keeps! When he gave you that big hug in the parking garage & when you asked him where daddy is & he looked & reached in Nathan's direction, my heart just melted! I don't know if I've ever enjoyed patty-cake so much :o) He'll have lots of folks to play ball with, so when you're ready for a relief catcher, just "holler"...

Love you all so very much!
mom & dad (mamalin & gramps)

Blogger Jane said...
Thanks to "mom & dad"....hearing that they are home safe and sound is comforting! Little I is very blessed to have you guys as grandparents!

M & N...welcome home!!!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm dying for an update but I know spending quiet time adjusting to your new life at home is more important than feeding my desire for pictures and info and whatnot. I'm glad to hear you're back home and will be waiting with eager ears whenever you have caught your breath and are ready to share more. Love ya!
Kris