If you are planning to adopt, one of the things I highly recommend is getting set up with an International Adoption Clinic.
Ours is a clinic that has an M.D., an occupational therapist, and a social worker on staff. They do educational seminars, review medical reports, go on call for when families travel, and take care of all assessments (medical, developmental, social) once families come home. It's really neat. I think having a regular pediatrician is important - but when you first come home, IAC specialists are great because they do just what their name implies -- specialize in issues and health related to the internationally adopted child.
Anyway! Off my soapbox.
So we went to the doctor today. We had to leave the house at 7:30 this morning, to make sure to arrive at the clinic by 9:00. It's a good thing we left early, because there was a wreck on the interstate and we were in stand-still traffic for a good little bit. But we made it by 9:00 (on the dot!) and all was well.
Here are a few pics of the little patient, on his way to the doctor. You can tell he really didn't know what was in store for him today:

We got there, and had to wait for a few minutes. And then it was time to go back. Little guy got weighed & measured. He is about 30 inches long, and weighs about 25 1/2 pounds. We found out that - on American charts - he is between 25th & 50th percentile in weight...10th percentile in head circumference...and 3rd percentile in height. So those of you who think he is a huge baby...well, let's just suffice it to say that he appears to be big for his age because he's of shorter stature. But who knows, he may catch up in the next several months. And well...if he doesn't, then he'll fit right into our family, size wise!
Anyway, back to the visit. The social worker came in first, to do her social assessment. She couldn't believe how well Iliya is doing. She observed behaviors (eye contact, signs, excellent reciprocal interactions) that she said often take parents months to elicit from their children. She said that he seemed to be almost an abnormal internationally adopted child (abnormal, she said, being a good thing). She said that we are quickly heading toward "normal" parenting, with a little bit of "special" thrown in there.
She still recommended that we do the primary caregiving thing (though interacting and playing with others -
if he wants to - should be okay), and that we should keep an eye out for overstimulation. We still shouldn't pass him around like a hot potato - and if he gets fussy or whatever, to make sure that we are the ones to comfort him. Basically, since we are with him every day, we'll know what is best for him. She said that we are so fortunate (and we know it and are so thankful!) that he is doing so well! We have so felt like he's been doing well, but it was awesome to hear that confirmed!
After the social evaluation, we waited for a few minutes for Dr. C to come in.

When she came in, we talked for a little bit. Iliya was playing and at one point, he climbed up in my lap. He was hugging me, and all the sudden, I felt a pinch...and realized at once that he was biting me! I think he thought he was biting on my clothes, because my reaction startled him. Oh man, it hurt...my little guy has some
chompers! I firmly told him
no biting mommy, that hurt. He got down out of my lap and went to stand by the door. He looked over at me, pitifully, and I went to pick him up. Bless his heart - he wasn't upset when he bit, which makes me really believe he didn't mean to do it. But doggone it...it hurt, and I want him to be more careful! Anyway, back to the story...
Dr. C evaluated Iliya, and said that he seems really healthy. He didn't seem to mind being poked & prodded a little bit. In fact, after Dr. C finished listening to his chest, Iliya asked her to keep listening (by saying "more"). Evidently he didn't mind it so much! He also enjoyed playing with her stethoscope while she looked in his nose, mouth, & ears.
Based on his medical from Russia, she ordered a few tests - bloodwork, an ultrasound, and an x-ray. We were actually able to get all those tests done today, so we don't have to go back again for a few weeks.
Now...on to the testing. As it turns out, I didn't go in for any of them. The social worker told me that I could be the "rescuer" since Iliya seems to be pretty well attached to me. She recommended that I wait outside the door, and "rescue" Iliya after anything painful. This was fine with me, since - well, I don't do well with needles. So Nathan went in for the ultrasound & xray (I could've gone in for these - and wanted to - but one of us had to stay outside to hear if they called us for bloodwork). Iliya came through with flying colors. He didn't really like being held down for the ultrasound - I heard him cry, then - but he did really well for the xray.
The bloodwork was a little different. I actually heard him screaming from the outside the door & down the hall. Nathan said he was fine, while they searched for a vein...but once they had to hold him completely still, he started squirming & crying a little. When the nurse stuck him...N said his face changed like, 'oh, now
that hurt' and he started screaming. That's what I heard...and it probably is a good thing that I didn't go in there. I started getting clammy - and very sympathetic toward my perception of his pain. Later, Nathan told me it was definitely a good thing I wasn't there. But he said once the nurse pulled the needle out and got his arm 'patched up' Iliya was good to go. In the end, I don't really think that I "resuced" him, but he was very happy to see me, when he came out of the room. When we were done, we left. Here is are a few pics of us with the cow at the entrance of the clinic:

So there you have it. Our doctor experience. Not too bad! And we get to go back in 3 weeks for a follow-up visit and for his developmental screening. In the meantime, I have the priviledge of digging in 3 dirty diapers (on 3 different days) to get some stool samples. I should feel honored.
On the way home, it was beyond lunchtime, so we swung by McD's for a quick lunch...ran by the outlets so I could run in the OshKosh & Carter's stores (OshKosh is having a fantastic sale right now!!)...and then on toward home. Iliya took a great nap once we got home, and now he's running around being curious.
Just now, he took an interest in a collage frame I have in the living room:

Yep. It's great to be a mom.
Also, I enjoyed your post about "baby signing." I'm very interested in trying this with our child. Did you use a book or a video to learn the signs? What do you recommend? Would you email me at coneal414@yahoo.com if you have a chance to let me know?
I started feeling a little whoozy myself, just reading your description of the needle going into his little arm..yiyiyiii! Wesley had to have an I.V.when he was 18mo.old, for dehydration from Rhoto Virus. To this day, that is the closest I have ever come to passing out! I hope to never have that feeling again! I'm glad you did well...I said a couple extra prayers for you all!
I started feeling a little whoozy myself, just reading your description of the needle going into his little arm..yiyiyiii! Wesley had to have an I.V.when he was 18mo.old, for dehydration from Rhoto Virus. To this day, that is the closest I have ever come to passing out! I hope to never have that feeling again! I'm glad you did well...I said a couple extra prayers for you all!
Love,
Andrea
I have just started the adoption process. I have to say I happened to come across your blog about 2 days ago. Since then I have looked at many of your posts not only the most recent ones. I watched the video of your first visit with your son not only did I cry but it made Gerard cry as well (This is a difficult thing to do). Whether you know it or not you are an inspiration for me. I have started my own blog. I hope it can be half as nice as your blog is. You have a beautiful son and good luck!
Best wishes Joy
Iliya is a doll and I just love reading about his progress.