We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Friday, September 14, 2007
Scene: A Rainy Day. In the Classroom, 7:30 a.m.

A hesitant little boy walks in with his mother holding his hand. He is the first child in the classroom that morning and his mother helps him take his raincoat off. He looks at his teacher, back at his mother, and - realizing that he is here to stay again - his face crumples. His mother bends down to hug him give him a kiss.

Mother: It's okay, you will only be here for a little bit and then mommy will come back to get you. I think you will have fun playing with your new friends. Now...give mommy a kiss.


Boy: (blows kiss at his teacher)


Mother: (laughs) You're such a cute & silly boy! Alright, now, tell mommy "bye bye!"


Boy: (waves at the teacher) Buh - Bye


That was our morning; he really was ready to go on to work with me and not stay with his teacher. However, that wasn't an option. So I left him with his teacher, and she helped him get acclimated. I got back to my office & down to the business of wading through more emails & papers that had accumulated in my absence. I also did some editing on our calendar/publication that will be going out next week. It was a pretty calm (and productive) morning at work.


I checked on Iliya once - after playing in the big "multi purpose room," his class was back in the classroom, and he seemed to be doing okay. I think the newness is a little stressful for him - he would play for a couple minutes, become serious/cry for a few seconds, play for a minute, be serious for a few seconds, play, cry...and so on. But his cries didn't seem to be a really tearful cry, he just really had his serious face on when I was observing for those few minutes. His teachers were paying attention to him, though...talking to him, engaging him in play... and once he gets over the newness, I think he will be just fine.


When I went to pick him up, most of the other kids were laying down, and he caught sight of me as I walked through the door. He grinned the biggest grin, called out to me, and began dancing in circles before running up to me. It was precious. But I had to tell him to "shhhhh" because all the other children were trying to sleep!


We got home, he slept for 2 1/2 hours, and then got up in a wonderful mood. He ate a snack, drank some chocolate milk, and then his Aunt Sarah got into town. We hung out for a little while before Nathan got home. We went to eat, and on the way home, Iliya had a sleeeeeeepy meltdown. He was just exhausted.


This business of getting up early and spending half the day at school leaves him so tired at the end of the day. And my child needs his beauty rest - or, at least his "good mood" rest! So we've bumped his bedtime up to 7:30. That seems mean & barbaric, but the child zonks right out and is still not ready to get up in the morning! But I think as his little body adjusts, he will do better and won't be SO tired.


Anyway, I just wanted to update really quick before heading off to bed (at 10:15 on a Friday night...Iliya is not the only one who is tired!!). Have a great weekend!
7 Comments:
He remains one of the most precious little boys I've ever seen. I hope my comment on him looking sad didn't upset you. I know we, as parents, second guess our every decision because we love our kids so much and it really doesn't help to have to hear it from the peanut gallery! It sounds like he loves his mamma very much and definitely knows he belongs with you. That bond is a blessing to have in such a short time home.

What an ideal situation you have for daycare too!

Looks like you may finally be getting some rain? Looked like a raincoat Iilya had on? That would be treat for you all I'm sure. We've certainly had our share but I just hope that whatever precipitation that comes as rain now WON'T come as snow this winter!

Blessings to your family!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
That is the cutest little boy with a great raincoat on! I love the frog. Fully Rely On God. HE is continuing to help you all make the adjustments that must be made. Just look how far HE has brought you! I remember having my child peeled off of me to leave him at day care, so that is something we all face. (He would be fine by the time I got to the office and called.) I surely do wish I could have seen that wonderful "Mommy's here!" dance. God is so good!
Blessings,
Pam Parker

Anonymous Anonymous said...
How on earth do you get your child in a classroom by 7:30?? I am in awe of you. :)

Blogger Jane said...
Ditto on all that Pam said!!!

It sounds like all are adjusting at a normal pace. Thank you Jesus!

Amazing how a little one can tire ya out!?! When Nikita is here I often sleep from 9:30-7pm... and I am a TOTAL night owl...to bed around 1 and up around 9:30 am is typical for me. God has away of altering our hearts with those little ones!

Thanks for sharing! Enjoy your weekend!

Blogger Great Aunt Cheryl said...
I just wanna get hold of those cheeks sooooo bad!!!!!!! Thanksgiving can't get here soon enough!!! hmmm...how far is Tuscaloosa from Birmingham? I'll be in the 'ham the week of October 15 for the rest of my GRI courses...

Give Iliya a big kiss & hug from Aunt Cheryl...aka Aunt Fishface...

Blogger Deb said...
What a big boy, and adorable too. Glad he's adjusting well. Sounds like he'll be comfortable in no time.

He is sooo cute in his little froggy raincoat!! I'm glad you all made it smoothly through the first few days of school. It is so wonderful that he is near you and that you can check in on him as often as you like. I hope next week goes well, too! :)