We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Thursday, September 13, 2007
First Day of School (*Updated*)

And my first day back at work. We are beginning the transition today. I will work a half-day & pick Iliya up after lunch & before naptime. We'll do this for a week or so (or until he's comfortable) and then work up to staying till after naptime - and then work up to staying the entire day. I just got to work & the dropoff went fine...I'll check on him throughout the morning (there are observation booths w/ 2-way glass to look in) and will update later on in the day!




Here's the update:

I think it's funny that y'all think he looks sad in this picture. Here's what typically happens: he'll be smiling & goofing off and when I try to take a picture, he'll be blinded by the "pre-flash light" which causes him to blink...and the picture will be of him with his eyes mid-blink (you know, the "stoned" look). So by the time I get a good eye-opened picture, he looks serious & sometimes sad. He hasn't caught on to being a ham for the camera - give him time & he'll be grinning for every picture I take!


But it's still funny that y'all think he looks sad. It looks like he almost has a smirk in the picture. Of course, I know the expression he had both before & after this picture was taken, so I guess that's why I think that. And he was a bit tired (we had to wake him up this morning & he was none to happy about that!) I've got other pictures, but wouldn't you know it - I left my memory card at work! I'll post some tomorrow.

ANYWAY. All of that aside, the first day went really well. It's hard for me to get in the observation booth, because I have to cross in front of his door to get to the booth...and he has been very focused on the doors. Watching for me, I guess - not to mention the fact that he just likes doors. He's fascinated by the whole "open/close" thing. I did get in the booth a couple of times, though - once while the class was outside, which was fun to watch. Some of my co-workers were giving tours, etc. today, so they were able to check in on him & report back to me how he was doing.

He seemed to really take to both of his teachers, which made me feel extra good - he senses security in them...but he seemed glad to see me when I came to pick him up. The class was finishing up with lunch & starting to lay down for nap, so I was just in time. He didn't see me at first, so I was able to talk to the teacher for a couple minutes before he spotted me. I found out that he ate not one or two...but THREE...pieces of cinnamon toast for snack today. Bless his little heart. And he was eating like a champ when I went to pick him up. When he spotted me, his eyes lit up, and I went over to him at the table. He continued eating for a few minutes and then pushed his plate away. I wiped his mouth and then went to stand up. He started crying, then - I guess he thought that I was going to leave him? But I didn't - and he waved "buh-bye" to his teachers & we left for the day.

I consider it a successful day. They said he was occasionally teary, but they give him plenty of love (and things to do) through the morning. And it took all of 2 minutes for him to fall asleep once we got home & I laid him down for nap.

I hope the rest of our transition is successful. I guess it could go one of two ways. One, he could figure me out & realize that the daycare is a more permanent thing - and might be upset, making for difficult separation. OR two, he could realize it's a more permanent thing (yet I AM gonig to come back and get him), and maybe shed a couple tears but be okay with it. Who knows? I guess we shall see.

And about the daycare being reminiscent of the baby home. I'm not sure if it is or not for him...however, there are quite a few differences. The first thing thing that comes to my mind, other than the language difference, is the fact that the space is very colorful, open, airy & light. The babyhome was in a shady-ish location, which meant not a lot of natural light...and the lighting was rather dim. So I think there may be enough distinctions that he could keep them separated in his mind. I don't know, but I'd love to be in his little mind to know what he's thinking.

Well, I must get some lunch now. I shall update on our progress as we go. Till next time... goodbye!
12 Comments:
Blogger Robin said...
Iliya doesn't look like a very happy camper in that picture. Maybe it was just too early for him. I will be thinking about you all morening. Hope he adjusts easily.

Blogger Troy and Rachel said...
Let us know how the adjustment goes. It's great that you can work the 1/2 days at first and work up to the full days.

Blogger MandyJo013078 said...
Good Luck Melissa on your first day back at work! I hope Iliya does well at school. I can't wait to hear all about it! You'll be in my prayers today!
MandyJo

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
I can't believe it's back to work already! Time goes by so quickly! Definitely let us know how he did and let us know how YOU did! I'd be in that observation booth most of the day. :-)

Oh! That face! How sad! Hopefully he perked up as the day wore on. Hopefully the day care setting won't be too reminiscent for him of the baby home atmosphere. I hope he'll make a secure and smooth transition.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I think his sweet little face is saying "you're not serious, are you, about this school thing?" -- kinda like Mamaw's favorite picture of him by the bathtub in the early days :o) I'm glad it went well...and hope it continues. We're looking forward to visiting soon...just wish it was sooner than it will be!

love you all,
grandmom & grandad

Anonymous Anonymous said...
That is wonderful! I was really hoping he would do well. I think it's so much harder on mommy than baby. And you're very lucky to be able to transition slowly. Yay Iliya!!!!
~Katie

Blogger Jane said...
I pray that tomorrow goes as smoothly!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hi guys...it's Nancy and Brian from the Vlad Motor Inn, remember us? We've been home with our son Nathan for almost a month now. Just wanted to say I enjoy reading your blog. I'm going back to work in 2 weeks so I've also started transitioning Nathan into "school"...it's so hard! Best wishes to you!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I see the lil smirk on his face and his lil eyebrow raised up! HA! Precious! Glad the first day went well!

- Bethney

Blogger Jane and Jim said...
I'm glad things are going well - that has to ease your heart! It looks to me like he's getting ready to smile, but isn't quite sure... he's so darling.

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
It must be hard to leave him! I'm a believer that daycare (but not the 10-12 hour variety) is good for children (if they can handle it) - gets them socialized, learning things from others, and tired out. The key is having a good day care! Sounds like you do!