We had an absolutely
wonderful weekend, spending time with friends and family! We had 2 different showers, and I will update on those as I have time to upload some pictures.
------------------------------------------------
When we go out of town, for just a night or two, we usually leave our dogs with a dog-sitter (she has recently moved to a new - more spacious - location, changed her business name, and now refers to her business as a "doggie camp." Although when I talk to people, I tell them she's a sitter...I get made fun of less that way. But I digress...).
Anyway, the dogs seem to really enjoy going - they get to hang out with other cool dogs and play fetch till their hearts're content.
The problem is that - embarrassingly enough - we do not promote fitness in our dogs. They are not really overweight, or anything, but that is mostly due to the fact that we watch their food intake pretty strictly. We've been so busy lately that we haven't made "outside time" with the dogs a priority...I am awfully embarrassed to say this, but unfortunately, we just don't get outside with them much anymore.
**in response to Suzanne's comment, I thought I would share pics of my "puppies." I agree that (as an animal lover...and much to other people's chagrin) one can never have too many dogs...and that a new 'baby' puppy would help my two dogs be more active; unfortunately, though, we tried fostering a puppy once, and I had just forgotten how much work puppies are! They whine & bark a lot (and require potty training!! ha ha) And if you'll look at the size of my already existing precious pups (and cats), you'll notice that our ranch-style house cannot accomodate another dog! Even if it could, I think Nathan might completely nip that idea right in the bud!! :) Especially given the fact that we have a human baby on his way into our home!!

Thanks for the suggestion, Suzanne! But I digress...back to the subject at hand - The activity level of my dogs......Yeah, I'm not a very good dog-mom.
Because like I said, when they go to doggie camp/sitter's house, they would play fetch till their hearts actually gave out, I believe. And in the past, when they've come home from camp/sitter's house, they have literally been WORN OUT. By the way they walk, you can tell they are sore in the day or two after they come home.
Well...this time, it's been a little worse. I'm not sure if it is because the camp/sitter has a new location (i.e., more space?) or what, but my two dogs must've played extra hard this weekend. Gracie has seemed more tired than normal. And I'm beginning to wonder if Heathcliff is older than we think he was!?
Because today, Heathcliff - literally - has been laying around like he's almost dead. If he HAS to get up and move around, he literally hobbles. He walks like an old man, and
cannot get up and down the stairs leading to the backyard. A little while ago, he finally attempted the stairs successfully - but not without a lot of coaxing and obvious unsuredness.
Poor guy.
He's really out of shape.
And it's so bad, that Nathan & I have made the commitment - once Heathcliff is back to a more normal state - we will get out with the dogs more often. It will do them a world of good.
And to get some exercise and fresh air...I think it will do us a world of good, too.
Besides, you can never have too many dogs.
Thank goodness for my two crazy mutts as they do make me feel guilty to walk them. Just wish they could talk then I would really start losing the weight!!!!