I came in here to just apologize for not posting much, and tell you that my lack of posting is not for lack of trying to think of posts. I have been working on my final paper last week & this week, so when I think about writing for fun, I just start drawing a blank. Not to mention that I have nothing interesting to talk about. As I began explaining about being in my last class, one thing lead to another and
Voila! a post! Amazing how that happens!
Read on...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many of you know that I am (finally) in the last weeks of my last Master's class. One of the benefits of working for UA is the education benefit: employees receive one free class per semester and anything beyond that is half-tuition.
Let's back up a minute: Once I finished my undergrad degree, I knew I did NOT want to go back to school...it had never really been something I thought was for me. (
Who me? Never! I am DONE with school - I've been going for the past 24 years! I'm burned out and ready to close that chapter of my life!) Of course, that was until one of my teachers actually planted the idea in my head, that I might actually be successful in grad school and that I should seriously consider going on. A couple months before graduation, I got a wild hair in my head and decided to take the MAT. And actually, I did okay on the test. Maybe my teacher was right.
But right after graduating, we moved away from any large universities and I put the idea on hold.
And
then...a couple months later, I landed a job back in Tuscaloosa, actually working for UA.
So we moved back.
Even though I still considered grad school, I was learning my new job and continuing my hiatus from school. But then, one ordinary summer day, I decided to start writing my Statement of Purpose. What did I want to do in grad school? Why did I want to pursue a Master's Degree? In writing this essay, I discovered something really interesting about myself...I do, in fact, enjoy learning. Even though I was burned out from having gone to college for roughly 6 years, I discovered that I actually
missed sitting in classes and writing papers and taking tests! Not only that, but I really enjoy learning about people, families and relationships.
Soon, my application to graduate school was complete. After a few weeks, I heard that I had been accepted, and I was very excited about this news!
One problem, though. I'll be making undergrad student loan payments from the grave (yes, we've already covered how long I was in college). Since we just didn't have the money to pay for graduate school without loans (even at half-price), I decided to try out that "free class per semester" instead of adding to my monstrous already existing student loan debt. This was close to 3 years ago. I figured the time was going to pass, whether I took a class each semester or not, so why not?
I started out with 2 semesters of statistics. I had considered saving these for last...but you know, Math has NEVER been my strong point. EVER. Let me rephrase. NUMBERS have never been my strong point. My thought process was that I could save the stats classes for last...but then if I saved them for last, and bombed them completely, then my work would all have been in vain. On the other hand, if I went ahead and took the stats classes first......that would give me an idea as to whether or not this whole idea was good or not.
So I took the classes, and by some crazy feat (or should I say, lots of studying!), I passed both of them...and with A's at that! So that was the sign that I could continue taking my "class per semester."
And time, in fact, did pass. Until now, I am in my very last "class per semester!"
Do not be fooled, though. I will not graduate in May...or August...or December...or, well, I'm just not sure. I still have a thesis to complete, and the thesis process is a lengthy one. And if you have missed some of my previous posts, I will be a mother sometime this summer. So, that - in and of itself - will put me at a standstill, at least for a few months. And beyond those first few months, I'm sure I may have to move at a slower-than-normal pace.
But in terms of actual
classes, I'm really glad to be almost finished with my weekly commitments and the paper writing and presentations. I have thoroughly enjoyed myself...this has been a great experience!
I know I have said this before...but despite my enjoyment, I really think, that once this degree is finished, I will definitely close this chapter in my life. I'm ready to be a mom and devote myself to that job (even if it is from a working mom standpoint)...but when I come home from work in the afternoons, I do not want to work on more papers or presentations. I have waited this long to be a mom...by golly, I am going to take time to enjoy it.
You are such a wonderful writer. I enjoy reading your posts immensely. However, I must point out an error in this latest post. You wrote, "I will be a mother sometime this summer."
Honey, you already ARE a mother. Your son is just in a temporary location until he can join you and Nathan in your home. Make no mistake, though, you ARE a mother NOW.
;~)
---L