We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Tuesday, March 27, 2007
*~*New Updates*~*
This morning we made progress…and that is fantastic news! I’m not saying that the little guy came in and jumped in our arms, but he was happy for the most part, IN part because the speech pathologist was with us. It was nice to have her there…she told us a little bit about his language development and some of the ‘developmental classes’ that all the children participate in. She also explained that he is very slow-to-warm-up and suggested that we more-or-less ignore him and let him approach us. She says he gets overwhelmed with strange people…and we agreed, so we decided to give that a try. He didn’t do a lot in the way of approaching us – more, he gave us a pretty wide berth and every once in a while, he would come at us with a little bit of curiosity. He was fine as long as the SP was in the room, and smiled and laughed. Another specialist (not sure which one) came in at one point and she even got him to start dancing. He even played peek-a-boo (pronounced “cuckoo” in Russian) with us, and at some point, the SP slipped out of the room.

When he looked around and noticed that he was alone with these strange people…yep, you guessed it. That little face completely fell and the tears began flowing.

At that point, we weren’t really sure what to do. We didn’t want him to cry…but then, we didn’t want to overstimulate again, like yesterday…so we didn’t really know how to approach the situation. Our translator & facilitator saved the day, when they both got on the floor with N & me. One (facilitator) picked up the book and the other picked up a toy. The facilitator began pointing to the pictures in the book and talking loud enough for Little One to hear – but acting like she was reading to herself. The translator, Nathan, and I began playing with our toys, and Little One stopped crying and looked at us with curiosity (still with the cry face on, though). He came over, looked at us all, and the minute we looked at him, he started crying again.

At that point, the translator got up and picked him up, talking to him. She took him to the window that looked out into the hallway and he stopped crying. The facilitator took me over to him and started rubbing my hair and hugging me…all the while, talking to him. I got the impression she was helping him to see that I am good. I caught the word ‘mama’ several times, and when he heard it, he seemed to get upset. So we decided to not use the word ‘mama’ right now, because right now, his caregivers are “mama” and he seemed confused to call me by that name. He seemed to think I was okay, and I’m pretty sure that the facilitator was doing a good job helping him to think so. I will be ever grateful to those two women for walking us through this whole process.

Little One got very heavy for the translator, and so I took him and his face immediately fell. I carried him straight over to the window, looking out. I pulled out all the Russian words I could think of (which is not very many) and started talking to him. He calmed down rather quickly and we talked to all the things outside in a mix of Russian & English. We said “privyet man!” to a man sweeping the sidewalk and I lost count of the number of machinas (cars) we said privyet & paka (hello & good bye) to. Nathan was standing behind us, holding the curtain back for us, and if he would speak, Little One turned to see who had that weird voice behind us. Eventually, N was able to move up beside us and at that point, Little One was feeling fairly comfortable with me.

He began hitting the window, and N started doing the same thing. It became a little game. We played a little bit of ‘cuckoo’ and Nathan started running his hands along the window (spider-like) and getting the baby on top of the head. He thought that was great fun and we actually teased some laughs out of him.

About a half hour at the window, and he began falling asleep – he must’ve remembered he was in the company of strangers, so he started getting fussy again. So we turned to the facilitator & translator and we all decided it was time to go ahead & leave before he became inconsolable. Another couple minutes of “cuckoo” (cheering him up for a hopeful picture – the camera was off and he started crying before we could get a picture of the 3 of us, though) and it was time to go. I took him to the window again, calming him while N and the other 2 cleaned up the toys we had brought.

As we carried him back to his wing, I got the experience of carrying him up 2 flights of stairs… I’m quite certain that when he finally comes home, I will probably lose some good weight. He is a heavy boy!! Toting him around will be some hard work! I’m going to have sore arms tomorrow…but it will be the best-sore ever!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Our facilitator told the doctor all about the positive things that happened during our visit today. She said we made great progress – and both Nathan & I completely agree!

As we were leaving, we saw a small group of children with 4 caregivers, taking a walk. Seeing this caused me to reflect on the life Little One seems to have had. It has not been priviledged by any means, but he receives so much love and care from the doctors and caregivers. You can’t fake the kind of reactions he has to the ladies we have seen him with – and while it makes me sad that he will eventually have to leave, it warms my heart so to know that he was so loved in his earliest years.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

On the agenda for this afternoon is a visit with the doctor. Today was the day for all the specialists to come, so the morning was very busy in the doctor’s office. We couldn’t talk to her without someone bursting in every minute or two, so we decided to wait. So this afternoon we will have time to play with Little One again and also meet with the doctor & social worker.

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers…you have no idea how much we appreciate you all! It is so encouraging to know that you all think enough of us to read about our experiences and to send us comments & emails letting us know that you are thinking about us. I’m sorry we can’t respond to everyone right now. The computer we brought is not equipped for dialup, so I am having to write a post in MS Word and then use the facilitator’s computer to upload it to the internet. So we are operating very slowly right now, internet wise, so that’s why we can’t do much more than post our experiences and read your comments. Just know that we appreciate all of you!

It is now time to leave the hotel… More later!
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Update: We visited again – this time, the caregiver did not stay very long, and Little One cried only for a minute. It was not all-out crying, though, and we were able to get him to laugh and actually play with us. He threw the ball to Nathan and actually tried to pop bubbles when I blew them. We played with stacking cups for quite a while and looked at books. He thinks Nathan is pretty funny – we never got him to all-out laugh again, but you could tell he found us somewhat amusing at least.

We talked to the doctor, and everything seems on track with the little guy. We feel very very positive…we will get his social worker information either tonight or tomorrow morning, and then we’ll make our final decision.

But from reading today’s post, you can probably tell what our decision will be…

The one Russian thing I have started doing? Drinking herbal tea. That is one thing I never thought would happen, but as they say, ‘never say never!’

For now, I am going to close. I’ve given you a LOT to read, so I hope your eyes aren’t too tired by now!! Love to all of you, and thanks again for all your positive thoughts and prayers!!!
19 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
We are sooo glad that things went better for yall today!!! When we got up this morning, I came straight in here to see what all happened! Daddy stands over my shoulder reading, too! Had a good supper last night with Linda and David. We really had a good time, just talking about "grandparent" things!! HA!! We love you both, Momma and Daddy

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Sounds like the little guy gets his temperament from Aunt Sarah... Just kidding... Yeah... I'm glad things are going well over there! I can't wait to see you kids and hear all about it on Saturday!!! Just so you know, the pets are being well-taken care of. I've been walking each dog every other day. Today is Cliff's day (which is the equivilent of some serious weightlifting for me-- haha). Oh, and I've decided that you guys have too many pets and I'll be happy to take Clifford off your hands. We've bonded these last couple days. You two be safe and I can't wait to see you Saturday!!!! Love you very much! ~Sarah

Blogger mommyto5 said...
Congratualations on your little one. I'm sure you know this , but it is such as good sign that he is so attached to his caretakers,in this situation crying was a good thing:) your transition and bonding with your little guy will go much smoother.God Bless!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I am so excited that he has started warming up to you guys, and that you had a much better day today! No, my eyes aren't tired from reading your post...my eyes are full of happy tears for you guys! I'm so excited that you are finally going to experience the joy and blessings of being called "Mommy" and "Daddy"!!! Our Love and Prayers to ALL of you!!!

Love,
Kevin, Andrea, Wesley & Alex

P.S.- It's supposed to get up to 85 degrees here today! No ice fishing here!!! (((0:

Blogger Allison said...
Such great news! It is such an overwhelming and emotional experience; one you can't even imagine until you've been through it. I know the bonding is hard, but knowing he is attached to his caregivers is such a good indicator that he'll have a strong attachment to you. Sounds like every visit is getting better. We're keeping your family in our prayers.
Thank you so much for sharing this journey with us.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yep, I left my 'puter up last night so I could click on my favorites and go right to your blog this morning before I left for work - and great news!!! I even had to call "Baba L" and tell her you had a much better visit before she and I got to work! And of course Mamaw! He seems quite at ease with you and "funny" Nate now. We love you all. "Totya" Sis
PS Not too sure about my Russian!

Blogger Elle said...
Huge progress! Sounds fantastic. Allison is correct, attachment to caregivers is a good thing. It shows he can attach to someone. It will make your transition difficult as he may feel a loss, but eventually it will be beneficial.

You guys are doing a great job.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I couldn't wait to read the blog this morning. I am so glad that this visit went so well. We are praying for you. I can't wait until the day comes when Kaitlyn can play with her new cousin.

We love you both,
Bridget

Melissa and Nathan,
I am so happy to hear how your first visits have gone. The crying/attachment to caregivers and play skills are so good!! He sounds like he is just perfect. This baby hospital sounds very good too. I'm so happy for you two and can't wait to read more while I wait to go back to get my baby boy :)
Adrienne

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Natalie and I were late this morning because we just HAD to read a little before we left!! I can hardly wait to see you guys and here stories and look at pictures and buy more stuff for the little sweetie pie! Though, I must confess that I did buy him one little thing today...hee hee. I just can't seem to help it! Lots of love, Kristy

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
I was thinking the same thing... his attachment to his caregivers is a great thing. Sounds like you are making quick progress - you've only known him a couple of days and look how far you've come. Sounds like you are having an amazing time. I'm so happy for you guys.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I already have a cold, and I needed a box of Kleenex to finish reading your post. I am so excited for all of you.
---L
p.s. Call us when you're back in town.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I am so excited for you guys. Sounds like things went so much better for you. You guys are defenitly in my thought and prayrs. Cant wait to hear more. - Robin

Blogger Ani said...
how exciting! i'm so glad things were a bit better today. keep us posted on progress, please!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Sounds like yall had a much better day and visit. I think from what you said he is doing a lot of very good things. Good luck with everything to come. Love, Shana

Blogger Laura said...
Wow Melissa! I've just started following your journey. I am so glad you made some progress today.
hugs,
Laura

Blogger Melissa said...
Melissa I am so glad that things were much better today. It sounds like he is warming up to you both. I am glad everything is going wonderfully!!!

Melissa

Blogger Denise :o) said...
Yay, yay, yay!! I'm so glad things are getting better. I can't believe how much progress you made in just two more visits. How exciting. He sounds like a great little boy!!

Blogger ~Telah said...
Melissa, I have been away from my computer for a few days so I've been playing catch up on my reading. Wow! Your last two posts have brought tears to my eyes. Just so many emotions to be going through...but truly that is all a part of it. That is what makes motherhood so special and I know you are going to make a great Mom! Congratulations!