
Have you? I have. Today, in fact.
You know...I had a huge, long blogpost written out, and for some reason, I couldn't really get into posting it. It may be because I am not completely comfortable bearing my soul for everyone to look at me critically. Or maybe it was because I just didn't feel like my thoughts were very coherent and I just don't want to post something that makes me seem like I'm babbling.
But the bottom line of my post was that I had a very long day. I was tired to the point of not even being able to smile. My brain is on overload, and I've been feeling like I am just running around in circles with all the thoughts swarming around in my head -- thoughts about ideas for this grant at work, and thoughts about school, and thoughts about when we will be able to see Little I again (today, he turns 17 months old, and the longer we are away, the more it breaks my heart to think about being gone so long). I just have lots to think about, and so much to accomplish in such little time!
And then, driving home, I noticed that my gas gauge was sitting pretty close to
E. I pushed the handy button that can tell me how many miles I've got till I'm stranded, and the above picture was what I saw. Literally. I took the picture, and felt a blog post coming on.
But really what I saw was a comparison between myself and the gas tank in my car. This week, my stress level has gone pretty high...and I've become more impatient to see my baby boy again. Along with the stress comes worry (yes, that "w" word, coming back)...and both stress and worry completely sap me and leave me pretty close to
E. But then again,... I also got to thinking about how good I really have it - last week, a family at church lost one of their precious children...then, in the same week, the VA Tech shooting happened. We hear about so many horrible things happening in the world. There are adoptive parents who have been waiting longer than a
year to go back and bring their children home. How can I compare my impatience and frustration with the frustration, hurt and devastation other people are going through? Simply? I can't. Especially when these people handle such tragedies with such grace and faith.
You know what we all have in common though? You know what helps people who have a much worse situation than we do? We all have a God that is faithful to those who call upon Him. He has a perfect timing and He answers prayers according to that timing. The answers may not be exactly what we have in mind, but we should still ask and know that He will answer...and give us comfort when we need it.
And we can take heart in knowing that His presence is with us.
So...I took my car to the gas station, and the gas tank is now full. According to the estimate, I've got close to 300 miles before I have to refill. What about me, though? With prayer, and the idea of "letting go" I can feel myself being refilled again. But I need to make sure to refill every day, not just when I get stressed and completely overwhelmed. Call it preventative medicine, if you will. But I know ... it works.
You have made known to me the ways of life; You will make me FULL OF GLADNESS WITH YOUR PRESENCE. -Psalm 16:11
Love you, Nana
To continue your analogy--I've been told to never let the tank get empty because if you put a bad tank of gas into an empty tank it will completely destroy your car. If bad gas gets into a half-full tank, the good gas will soften the effects and you'll be able to keep on.
Keeping your spiritual tank from hitting empty seems to fit in here.
Thanks for a thoughtful post! ;>
As far as wanting to go back to see Little I and worrying about him... you have it just as bad as the others who have been or who have waited a long time. (I blame all grammar errors on heavy medication) Anyone will tell you that leaving your child is one of the hardest things you will ever do. It doesn't matter if you leave him for 6 weeks or 6 months. Every day away is hard.
But like kate says, make sure you take the time for yourself. Even if it is a few seconds of prayer every day. Pray for strength to make it to the next day.
Hugs!
God has blessed Little I in allowing you and Nathan to be his parents. The process is tough and not very fun at times, but the end result is that Little I will be in your home, safe and learning about Jesus.
No, he is not there today, but he will be soon. That gift from God is not given to all homes... (wasn't I the one that said not to compare yourself to anyone!?!?)
Your life will never get less busy because there will always be many irons in the fire of life. I pray that you take time every day for you and Jesus.... he wants you more than you want Little I home. Hard to imagine, but true.
Praying for you, Jane
I've watched my tank sputter and empty completely during this process. It's so important to keep yourself up. And Thank God for the husbands that we have to be able to help. At least I know when I'm down Dave helps me back up and helps fill my tank.
Praying you are able to be reunited with Little I very soon.
Adrienne