You know, I think it's pretty interesting when other people tell me they think I am organized. I'm not exactly sure what I mean by the word "interesting"...but let me try to explain: part of me thinks that I
must be pretty organized and it's cool that my organization shows. But then the other part of me (probably the bigger part) finds it amusing that other people look at me and think I'm organized when I feel like I'm flailing around, trying to figure out what to do next (or perhaps said people look at me, see I'm flailing and tell me I'm organized to make me feel better...or if they say it enough, maybe I'll become organized?). Anyway...
Enter the "to do" list.
When I first started the job I have now, I really didn't have my act together. I got S-T-R-E-S-S-E-D in the most horrible way possible, on a daily...or sometimes, hourly...basis. But then I determined that part of my problem was that I had SO much to remember to do and there was no way I could remember all of it! Why was I hoarding it all in my brain?? That's when I began the daily "mind dump". I have a trusty notebook that I write EVERYTHING in. It's my way of remembering, and if it's all on paper, I don't have to worry with forgetting!!
I have become queen of the "to do" list. Okay, maybe not queen, but I have certainly learned to use one. Maybe that's how I keep my cool exterior (don't laugh, please, I need to believe that I at least portray someone who has it together!).
The problem with me and the "to do" list is that I am also a procrastinator. Not in everything - and certainly not with things that have immediate deadlines. But let's face it: Why do today what can be put off till tomorrow?? Right?
Yes...........EXCEPT when you are getting ready to travel to RUSSIA.
This is a case in which I am so busy at work that I hardly have time to even
think about anything else, including this trip. It's not that I want to procrastinate about this getting ready business...but when I begin thinking about what I need to do, and wondering if I'm thinking the right things.......then my mind just shuts down about it, and hey...since we're not leaving tomorrow, I've got "
plenty" of time to get myself together!
So...it hit me this afternoon: I've THOUGHT about it, and the more I THINK, the more STRESSED I become........and the less SLEEP I get!
Now is the time to get out the handy list book and make me a "to do" and "to pack" list. I need to really go back in time to the blogs of adoptive parents who have made this trip - and see what they took...and for those of you who read this blog, I am SO VERY open to your thoughts and ideas! I will work on my list and post it tomorrow.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Now...on to the other things. Honestly, I don't really remember what other things I was going to write about, except to tell you that we had a fun weekend! We saw both sets of families - and it was nice to see everyone. We went to Toys'R'Us and worked on our registry (we thought that Montgomery would have a Babies'R'Us, but to our disappointment, they didn't) and then we went on over to Target but there were SO MANY people there, we gave up and left without working at all on the registry!
Oh yes, another thing - it was a huge ordeal, but I
finally found a good coat to take with me on the trip!!! I won't go into the ordeal we had - simply b/c I don't want to say ugly things about the store until I hear back from the corporate office regarding the complaint I filed about our experience. I guess I shall see how (if?)they handle it and then we shall decide whether or not to ever shop in the store again (I will say that I have
rarely gotten so ill with sales associates/managers that I want to send a complaint to the coporate office...and until last night, have never gotten
so angry as to actually have
written and filed a complaint). I hope they -at least- give me a decent response, since I love the store and desperately want to continue to shop there!
Anyway...to end on a good note -
We got a few items to take with us on Trip One...when I think of taking things to the orphanage, to play with Little One, I tend to want to take a whole toy box. And then I rethink myself into taking only one or two toys. Ugh - it's hard to know exactly what to expect (yes, I've read DOZENS of blogs, and other literature, but somehow, in THIS moment, it is all out the window).
Here is what we have so far. C'mon, adoptive parents who've BTDT (
been there, done that), give me some feedback! Am I on the right track?? What else do I need to add to this picture (I do have a blowup ball on my list of things to get, and a blanket that didn't make it into the picture), and/or what do I need to take away?
Good luck.
You can always see what he is interested in and then buy a few little things there. The boy still plays with those trucks we bought.