We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Self Dressed
Dressing Iliya is one of those things that has been difficult for me to let go of. Because he came home as a 20 month old toddler, I missed out on a lot of stages of dressing and undressing - the newness of carefully pulling a shirt over the fragile head of a newborn, pulling pants over the chubby legs of an 8 month old. I have savored the very act of helping Iliya get dressed and undressed every day - something about it created a closeness between us and I have loved it.

In fact, even as I knew I should be encouraging his independence, I was still dressing Iliya up until about 6 months ago.

Yes, I do know that he's getting close to 4 years old.

But I haven't had as much time as most parents have, to get tired of dressing my child, day after day, for almost 4 years. And, like I said, there's something about that time I spend dressing him. It's bonding time, I guess.

Finally, about 6 months ago, I decided that it was not fair to Iliya to keep insisting that he remain dependent on me for the one of the very skills he will require for the remainder of his life. I should add that he could dress himself - for some time, now, he has enjoyed dressing up - but not always getting the direction of the clothing correct. And, sometimes clothes end up in the wrong places...like underwear on his head, for instance.

But that was just being silly.

I hope.

Anyway, after a good bit of work, he has been successfully dressing himself, now, for several months. He still gets his clothes a little mixed up, but he's getting better at it. Take, for instance, the above photo.

Sunday evening, his clothes were laid out, and I asked him to run get dressed for church. I knew he could do it, because he'd done it just that morning. Well, we were close to running late, so when he ran in the living room, I said, "Okay! Good, you're dressed. Now, let's hurry, so we're not late." We were really close to walking out the door when I took a really good look at him and realized...

His pants were on backwards, his bottom shirt button was not fastened, and his shoes were on the wrong feet. Can you believe that I almost let my child go out in public dressed this way?

Well...it's obvious that we've got a little review work to do. You know, like - tags go in the back, zippers in the front, and...well, I'm not quite sure how to tackle the shoe issue. But, we'll keep on practicing...

And by the time he hits Kindergarten, I bet he'll have it.
2 Comments:
Blogger Treva said...
I love when children begin to dress themselves (especially girls). When I taught the three year olds at Riverchase on Wednesday nights one of the moms always let her little girl pick out her own outfit for the evening. I never knew what she'd look like when she came in. My favorite outfit was purple corduroy pants with one of her mom's tee shirts a pink ballet tutu and red ruby slippers.

Blogger AdoptaMama said...
I so know what you mean about missing out on the infant dressing stage. My girls (2 & 4 at the time of adoption) had both been dressing themselves 100% correctly, shoes & all, for quite some time before we met them. One would eventually allow me to dress her, the other was appalled at the thought of it. I was blown away by the way they could take a shirt without a tag and just know which way it went, hold it up to their chest backwards and upside-down and pull it up and over. They both still dress that way and I smile each and every time I see it. They are now almost 7 (on Sunday!) and 8.5 and I do love when we get home late from somewhere and they ask me to help them get jammies on. So very sweet. :)

Now I'm taking care of a friend's infant and I have been able to satisfy my dressing needs daily. It's fun, but it does get old at times. ;)

As for the shoes, when I taught preschool, I'd put a small smiley face with a sharpie on the outside of the inside of the shoe so they'd match up the smileys. Does that make sense? Like on the rubber part where the left shoe meets the right when they're matched up. Most kids caught on pretty quickly.

~Patti