We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Day One
We had a busy weekend...filled with traveling, surprise parties, bridal showers, and family. When I have had a chance to look through my pictures (and to beg my aunt Cheryl for a CD of her pictures taken), I plan to post about the weekend.

But for now, let me tell you......I am typically exhausted after a weekend like that...and true to form, we arrived home, I was definitely exhausted, but also rejuvenated.

I tell you who was exhausted. Iliya. And it showed up in the form of a fever, on Monday morning. He has been battling allergies, it seems (coughing, runny nose, sneezing - and what a funny, dramatic sneeze he has developed!), and those, paired with his system being a bit run down from all the excitement over the weekend, caused him to feel under the weather and run a fever. Several times, he told me, "I not feel good. I'm sick. I coughing. I need medicine."

Fortunately, Nathan and I were both off on Monday (obscure state holiday) so we just stayed home and got some things done while taking care of our sickie. I didn't realize how bad he felt until later in the afternoon, he crawled in my lap and just sat there. So I sang to him, for probably a half hour, and then he asked to watch a movie. And Iliya doesn't care much for TV, so when he sat in my lap and watched TV with me for an hour, I knew he wasn't kidding when he said he didn't feel good.

We got his fever down, with a little help from some medicine, and on Tuesday morning, he was back to himself. He woke up and told me, "I feel better. I not sick anymore!" It seems that his little system had just been telling him he needed to slow down a little bit and get some rest. Mine does that, too, sometimes.

Tuesday was also to be a big day for him.

He has been doing fabulously, with his potty training at home. With the exception of some wet diapers/pullups at night, he has been taking care of all his business in the potty. As I've mentioned before, we have not been parents to push him to wear underwear...we knew he would do it when he was ready, and honestly, I'm too tired to change messy underwear all the time, and fight any battles I don't have to fight. So only recently has he even begun wearing underwear all the time at home (except for at night).

He has also been staying mostly dry at school. Last Friday, Nathan and I had our scheduled parent/teacher conference with his teacher and the #1 topic for all of us was Iliya's readiness to"go for it" in terms of potty training. We were all on the same page about him wearing underwear to school - and when we picked Iliya up from school, we told him that the next time he went to school, he would get to wear big boy underwear to school!

So Monday was supposed to be Day One...but since he was sick, Day One was moved to yesterday (Tuesday). And I have to tell you, it was a success! When he & Nathan got home, the first thing he pointed out was that he was still in the same clothes he had worn to school! Of course, we made a big deal about it. And the second thing he said was, "I tee-tee'd in the potty! I'm a big boy! I go to big school, now!!"

And I don't know how subsequent days will go - I'm hoping really well! - but last night, as we were getting ready for bed, Nathan and I discussed the whole day, and how Iliya seemed to transform right before our eyes yesterday. He went from being identified by his need to wear diapers & pullups...to this empowered little boy who could now be identified as "BIG" because he'd had a successful day in his big boy underwear. He went from a child who doesn't care much for change to a child who actually brought up a change...with excitement!

So we're a little torn. Torn between wanting to toss some bricks on Iliya's head to keep him little for just a while longer...and being so excited that our precious little boy is blossoming and growing into a precious big boy, right before our eyes.
8 Comments:
Blogger Carey and Norman said...
Yeah Iliya! What a big boy!!

Sorry to hear he wasn't feeling well, but I do love how cuddly they become during that time. I know it helped us with attachment as our daughter would cry for me! Yeah!!

Don't you think little boys look so cute in their undies? Just so sweet!!

Blogger Jane and Jim said...
Yay!! Congrats!!! I'm with Carey - little boy's undies are too cute!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
On Sunday morning, after visiting his little potty, I didn't have his pull-up nearby for him to put on. I told him I needed to go get it & he said "I don't want a pull-up". I said, not thinking that he was wanting to wear "big-boy" underwear, that I'd be back in a minute with a pull-up. He said again, "I don't want a pull-up". I said, jokingly, "Can I wear your pull-up?" With that sweet, precious smile, he said, "You don't wear a pull-up...you too big. You wear big-boy underwear". At which, we both laughed, him at the thought of me wearing a pull-up & me at the thought of wearing big-boy underwear! :o)

How is Iliya's blog coming along??? I wish I'd gotten a picture of him "working on his blog".

And...the best thing about becoming an antique is having two precious little ones to help blow out all those candles...thanks Iliya and Kaitlyn! and being with family to share a wonderful weekend together...Thanks! family...I love you all!

Much love & hugs,
Granmom/mom/Lin

Blogger Laura S said...
Thats awesome! Congrats on a huge step. We will be starting adventures in potty training in June (after we get back from vacation).

Blogger AdoptaMama said...
Way to go (not so) big boy! Great progress.

LOVE your header. Adorable!

Blogger Unknown said...
Sweet boy! Miss you guys :(

Blogger Kay B said...
awwww they grow so fast! God job Ilya! You made your parents VERY proud (...not that they weren't already, though) :)

Blogger Lindsay said...
Sorry to hear Iliya was sick, but glad to hear he is all better and doing so well.