We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Sunday, September 14, 2008
a Quick Trip down Memory Lane
Due to changes in my job, Nathan and I are changing up our health insurance coverage.  In order to make the changes we needed to, we needed various documentation from our life (i.e., marriage/birth/adoption certificates).  Guess what I cracked open that I haven't even had cause to think about in almost a year.

Our dossier binder.  

And of course, I couldn't just pull out the few things we needed.  No, I had to look at our I-797, our financial statement, and everything else that we had to pull together for our dossier.  Iliya has been a part of our family for over a year, now, and it's amazing how much I'd seemed to forget about the whole process that led up to him becoming a member of our family.  

And it's not that I've truly forgotten...I guess it's akin to what they say about childbirth pains.  The more painful, emotional memories of the actual process just lessen with time and are replaced with stronger, better memories of more recent times.

But when I opened that binder, the memories flooded back to snapshots I hold in my mind of the past 3 years - the day we applied with our agency, the first document we secured for the dossier, our first homestudy meeting, receiving the elusive I-797, our last Christmas as a family of two, "the (referral) call," meeting Iliya for the first time & then turning around & having to say goodbye within days, baby showers, "THE call," court, our first days as a family.  

So it was a quick, unexpected trip to a place that I should probably make plans to visit more often.
1 Comments:
I totally relate with this. I was cleaning out my desk drawers and ended up taking a similar 'trip'. It does seem surreal that just months ago that was our daily reality and focus. Dima and I were playing 'pusslll' (puzzle) last night, it is a 50 states puzzle, and when we were nibbling on Alabama (he likes to pretend the pieces are cookies before we put them into the frame) I told him that his 'mom-assigned' buddy, Iilya, lives there. It is so cute to hear him attempt that name! Maybe someday we'll actually get to introduce them?!