We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Friday, March 14, 2008
Upon Waking
I am not as frustrated with my child today. Something about good sleep helps. There's nothing like good sleep and good friends (and one crazy brother) that help a mother feel like she may have things more under control that she feels.

Thanks for all your thoughts & suggestions. It seems that I've tried most suggestions - at one point or another - and the main thing we need to do is just be consistent & long-suffering. I'll let you know how it goes.

We went to speech therapy today (getting there is another story for another time), for an evaluation, and as it turns out, the speech language pathologist's exact words were, "Melissa, I just don't see that he needs therapy. He's right on target, if not a bit advanced for his age + how long he has been home with you. If he turns three, and perfect strangers can't understand at least 50% of what he's saying, then bring him back. For now, keep doing what you're doing."

Those were good words to hear.

And you wanna know the number one reason that I decided to let go of my frustrations with the little guy? He slept for 12 hours, TWO nights in a row...hence allowing us to get full nights of rest. See below for evidence of how well HE slept!

These pictures were taken upon waking this morning:

12 Comments:
Blogger Great Aunt Cheryl said...
WOOO!!! Looks like he had a BIG ol' rooster sleeping in that hair of his...

When Jake was 3 or 4 and I would tell him that, he actually believed a rooster came and slept in his hair...lol

Blogger Jane said...
YEAH for sleep! I too slept like a LOG last night for many hours (after a very long two days) and then took an 1.5 hour nap today!

and praise God for the speech evaluation. I'll continue to pray! I have some suggestion of things I did with little ones when I was a nanny, but I'll e-mail those to you since they are lengthy!

Have a GREAT weekend!

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
I'm so happy your speech eval went so well!! Your kiddo has the cutest bed head. :-)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hallelujah! Great news on the speech front! I thought he was speaking as well as many two-year-olds I have known.
I just LOVE his darling hair-style in the pictures! So very cute!
Blessings,
Pam Parker

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I knew he wouldn't need the services. I just had a feeling...he's been doing soooo well! You gotta keep that bed head hairstyle. I am loving it :)

Blogger ana said...
LOVE the hair! He is just so adorable!

Blogger Susan said...
Love the mohawk! I thought you spiked it like that. Iliya looks cute with his hair like that. Question for ya...how come we aren't seeing mama's bed hed after all the sleep she got? Hmmm??

LOVE the mohawk!! Hope you get another great night of sleep tonight!!!

You know my thoughts on the speech issues...we knew it! Keep up the good work, Mommy! :o)

Blogger Deb said...
Yippee for good sleep. Good for the whole house!

That's great that they don't think he needs therapy. Just shows you what a great job you are doing.

Blogger Christen L said...
Okay that's some seriously cute bed head.

Blogger Jane and Jim said...
Wow, he is growing and changing right before your eyes - sooo cute!!

Blogger Unknown said...
It's a brutal fact of motherhood - knowing academically that it's "age-appropriate behavior" and DEALING WITH IT on a daily basis are two entirely different things!! Hang in there, if I survived it, so can you.

Oh, and I too LOVE the bed head. What a cutie pie that boy is! (Prejudiced or not, the truth is the truth - we sure have some good-looking kids in our family, don't we??)

Love you bunches!