Thanks so much for all your comments and emails. I appreciate all your suggestions - it's so nice to know that there are so many people out there who care have so many different ideas & resources to pull from!! (and using a straw cup...I would have never thought about that as being something that would strengthen oral muscles, though when I think of it, it makes perfect sense!)
Several people mentioned Early Intervention, and I wanted to update about that. We actually had Iliya evaluated by EI, and he didn't meet enough of the qualifying factors in the developmental assessment. Just that he can't pronounce words well wasn't enough to qualify him, at least here. I don't know if you can get a child re-evaluated, though...I guess it's something to look into.
Oh well... we're hopeful that our insurance will pay for outpatient therapy. The main reason we prefer to go this way, is because this particular private clinic actually works with a lot of the IA children (referred by the IAC) in this area. If it doesn't work out, then we can probably receive services through the Speech & Hearing clinic @ UA.
Thanks again for all your suggestions - please know I take each one to heart. And I will definitely keep everyone posted, when things start happening!
love Sis
You are welcome to email or call me if you want.
As a speech-language pathologist who specializes in children of this age, I want to jump in and say although it sounds fun to practice blowing across a table with a straw or using one to try to "strenghthen" oral muscles, this is not something I would recommend for Iliya or any child who just has a speech delay. I would recommend using a straw and/or open cup for drinking to train his tongue to go backward for speech and swallowing (rather than a sippy cup....functional activities...) to help to create an accurate tongue position for an /s/ sound (try to prevent a lisp), and I might recommend a blowing activity IF Iliya had difficulty with breath support for speech such as with some children with CP, but there is no evidence that these fun-sounding activities improve speech production.
As a fellow adoptive mother, I would say go with your gut. If you feel like he needs therapy, go for it. He will likely need a speech-language evaluation first to determine if he actually does need therapy (we require one). If you feel like he doesn't, wait.
Here are some of the questions I would ask a parent of a 2 year, 4 month old child to determine if he may need a speech-language evaluation:
1) Does your child understand 2-step directions? For example, "Go get the bus and bring it to me," "Get the cup and give the baby a drink," "Go get your coat and put it on," "Get the banana and put in on the table," etc.
2) Does he understand a variety of object, action, possessive, and locational words? For example, "Where's Mommy's shoe?," "Show me your shoe," "Put the dog in the chair," "Look behind you," etc.
3) How many words does your child use (not imitated but on his own)? Most children at age 2 use 200 or more words.
4) Does he combine words into a variety of 2-3 word phrases such as "Hi/Bye Mommy" (greeting+person/object), "Go car" (requesting action/verb+object), "My ball" (possessive+noun), "More ball" (requesting recurrence/adverb+noun), "Mama go" (request action/person/noun+verb), "Help please" (requesting assistance), "All done playing" (requesting termination), "in chair" (location/preposition+noun), etc. By 2 1/2, we look for 3 word combinations such as "pour water out" (action+object+location), "I want a ball," etc.
5) How does he pronounce the words he says? Is he able to produce /p,b,m,t,d,n,h,w/? These are the sounds children should be able to produce before 3. At 3, we add /k,g/ and at 4 we add /f,v,s/. It is very common for children under 3 to use consonant and/or syllable harmony when producing words with multiple syllables (e.g., "buhbuh" for "bubbles" and "gog" for "dog") or to reverse beginning and ending sounds (e.g., "pot" for "top"), and this is okay. It is also common for children under 3 to leave the final consonant sounds off of words (e.g., "ca" for "cat"), and this is okay. Many children at this age say /t/ for /k/ (e.g., "tat" for "cat."), and this is okay until 3! It is also okay for a child of this age to reduce blends such as "boo" for "blue" and "top" for "stop."
6) Is he frustrated that other people can't understand him?
It is quite possible that Iliya is using these patterns called "phonological processes," and they are completely typical for children of this age. He has come such a long way so quickly!!!
My theory from working with children who were "late talkers" or who have been adopted internationally over 18 months is that they learn to talk so quickly when they do start talking that their vocabularies blossom but their articulation (the way they produce sounds in words) suffers as a consequence. This has definitely happened with Owen. I've started slowing him down a little and trying to make him focus a little more on how he says words. He tries and sometimes gets closer to a correct production, but he just isn't able to do some sounds and sound combinations yet. For example, he can say "apple" but when he tries 3 syllables in "applesauce" he says "apple" and can't do the last syllable. He can imitate "sauce" but can't put it all together. Same thing with "water." He says "wahwah" which is completely normal for his age, but we've tried to get "water" and he tries but can't do it yet. We break it down into "Ter" and then "Wah" + "ter," but his little system isn't quite ready for this yet.
I'm happy to answer more questions. Hope this helps!
Big hugs,
Adrienne
owensmommyadrienne@gmail.com
They must provide services if your child qualifies. If he is having oral motor problems that is a sign he might need more assistance. My son's both were delayed in speech but my daughter even with CL/CP is a talking champion!! She qualified only in Speech alone.
Email me if you need to. I had three kids in EI.