We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Friday, February 22, 2008
One year ago today...
...I sat in my office at work.

For a couple weeks before, Nathan and I had been (secretly) worrying about a possible upcoming deployment and how it would affect our adoption plans and travel. Nothing was in stone about a deployment, but we still did not want to get in the thick of an adoption and then not be able to complete it...or it be delayed or something. We didn't want to knowingly do something that could jeopardize anything.

We had decided that we would probably put our adoption on hold, and just resume our wait when Nathan came back home. I had called & spoken with Marti, our CHI rep, about this possibility...and also about how Nathan's superiors were very supportive and that they would make sure everything worked out the way it needed to, IF he were in the middle of a deployment when everything happened. But then there was the issue of me having to be a single parent for the first year of parenthood...after waiting. so. long. to become a mother!

We just didn't know what we needed to do. But we sorta figured we had time.

And then the afternoon of February 22 rolled around. I was minding my own business, doing work, when my office phone rang. It was Marti. She asked how everything was going, and if we knew any more about what we were going to decide about the deployment situation. I was in the middle of telling her that we really wanted her opinion on what we should do -- should we put it off?? -- when she cut in and said, "Well......let me give you the situation here.......(huge pause)... I have a referral for you. And of course, there are risks...but if you think that things could work out fine, I'll be happy to send it to you."

What?? A referral??

And at that moment, somehow, I knew that things would be fine. I knew God was going to take care of us, no matter what happened. So I said, "sure. Send the info along." (I was waaaay more scattered than that, actually)

And a couple minutes later, this showed up in my inbox.


Fortunately, Nathan was in a conference here, in town (he would normally be at work, 30 miles away)...and I called him on his work cell. They had just let out for the day, and he was headed home. I asked him to please turn around and come back up here, I had something important to tell him. I'm not sure, at that point, if I told him we had gotten our referral. But when he walked in my office and saw that tiny, grainy, black & white picture...it hit us. This was our child. Barring any crazy circumstances, this was the little boy we would bring home whenever it was time.

Of course, he was maybe 2 months old in this picture...and when we received his referral, he was 15 months old. We had no idea what he was like "now"...but he still pulled at us. We had a couple days to decide whether to meet him...but I called Marti back that afternoon and told her that we were ready. Though we tried to be cautious, we had no true doubts that this was our child.

As a side note - I found out, a couple months later, by reading through a yahoo group, that Iliya had been someone else's referral only a week before. The lady he was referred to ended up opting out of meeting him (reason unknown, though, since she never returned to give an update on her situation - so there could've been a lot of things at play there). I will always be grateful to this woman...and I pray that - whoever she is - she is doing well and that the perfect child has come into her family.

So...yes. God has a way of taking care of us. He knows the Perfect timing, even when we do not...even when we think we know everything. The deployment? Ended up being pushed back a whole year, and since then, other things have come into play that will send Nathan to doing something else. If we had waited in OUR time, who knows what would've happened.

What I do know is that we would've missed out on a fantastic little boy who makes every day so special...with his smile, his NO's, his imagination, his concern for us.

As it turned out, one year ago today started out pretty normal, but ended up being a very special day. Iliya may not have realized it that very day. But hopefully, in time, he will have a concrete realization of how much we loved him...the day we received that tiny, no-resolution picture...and how much more, still, we love him, one year from that day.

15 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Happy Referral-Anniversary Day!!!

Thanks be to God for blessing you, Nathan & Iliya and in turn blessing us!

Much love & hugs...
granmom

p.s. looking forward to the post & picture of the reunion today with Iliya & the nut that Aunt Rare-rah has been taking such good care of :o)

Blogger Jane said...
you are such a huge encouragement to me! THANK YOU!!! It is very easy to take things into our timing and not allow Him to control our paths.

Blogger Dede said...
Isn't it amazing how much timing can make such a difference. We get frustrated when things don't work out on our schedule but in the end the timing is perfect! I generally read your posts through my reader and just now saw your new page layout. I love the "Growing Boy" section with the pictures.

What a sweet story.... Thank you so much for sharing this with us. God has a way of making everything turn out perfectly in His time.

I love Iliya's referral picture too. Oh, how he has grown into a big boy! What a sweetie!

Blogger Nancy said...
Too cool!

Blogger Chris said...
Thanks for sharing that sweet story with us!

In Ilya's baby picture, you can really see his features already developing. It is really neat to see!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
GOD is so good! HIS timing and works always turn out beautifully! I am so thankful that HE brought the three of you together in just the right way, at just the right time. As His word says, "in the fullness of time."
I know that someday Iliya will cherish reading this post that reflects something of how much his parents loved him, even before they met him --- a love that has no end because it begins with God's love.
Hallelujah!!!

Blessings,
Pam Parker

Oh man! I love that story! You should write it just like that in Iilya's baby book. We had Marti too! Isn't she the best?! I really enjoyed working with her! The picture looks like it was taken in the 1940's! Dima's was cute too. Lydia's first reaction was, "he loots tinda drumpy mom." She has since learned that he is far from 'drumpy' 98.99% of the time. He is such a joyful little guy and so goofey. He love to run around giggling for no apparent reason. Are we the most blessed mamas on the face of the planet or what? Thank you for taking the time to type out your referral story. That was so great!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Great story, Melissa! What a wonderful day that was...just the beginning of a fantastic journey for your family. :) I'm so glad you guys have little Iliya! What a sweetie-pie he is.

Blogger Christen L said...
Beautifully written.

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
What a great day to remember! I bet it was great to have all of those emotions come flooding back! He is a cutie - an absolute cutie!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
It's so amazing how such a sweet little boy, so unknowingly, can change so many people's lives...around the world!

I can tell through your writing how full your heart is with joy!

We miss you all...and hope to see you soon!

Love,
Andrea

I remember seeing that picture and wondering with you what Iliya would look like when you saw him again. What a precious picture. I can hardly believe it's been a year!

There was a lot of waiting, a lot of uncertainties, and a lot of longing for our boys, but God had more wonderful things in store for us than we could have ever imagined when he gave us Iliya and Owen. Waiting for His time was and still is so unbearable at times, but He does have our best interests in mind and knows exactly what and who we are supposed to have and when.

The past year was full of challenges and unknowns, but what a beautiful and memorable year it was!! :O)

Blogger Grammy of five said...
I remember the first time that Grandmom showed me that grainy picture - it was so precious - and I did not understand or fathom the whole process. Just to see the difference that love makes in a child's growth and we take it for granted most of the time. I'm just so thrilled that all has worked out as it has - I enjoy reading Owen's(Adrienne's) blog as well as Elle's - wish I had time to read all of them - this is my third time to try to post this comment - I had to sign up with Google to comment on Jennifer's new blog and keep getting a incorrect password message -but just logged in and it worked (I think)-I'll know in a minute. Oh, and Thank God for Baby Monitors and Kangaroo stations - that was a wonderful ending to a scary story! It worked this time (comment) -it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
Grammy of three - alias Sis

Blogger Deb said...
Wow! And thanks. Thanks for the reminder that this is really all in God's hands.
What a crazy time though for you guys before receiving his referral. I'm so glad that you didn't wait. He's just a perfect hit for you both.