We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Sleep!! (followed by other frustrations)
Iliya got 12 uninterrupted hours of sleep last night...which means that I got 9 hours of (other than having dreams) uninterrupted sleep. It was glorious...fabulous...wonderful. I'm hoping that the same will happen tonight. Not holding my breath, but hoping nonetheless.

One day, I'll return to the fun-filled, exciting posts that I used to write, but for now, I have to vent. Just quickly, because I'm going to try to hit the sack soon...to make the most of the sleeping hours.

There are two things about my little guy that bug me to no end. I think this is a PMS post, so take it for what it's worth...which is probably not a lot.

First, if decides he wants something & wants it fairly bad, he repeats himself over...and over...and over. For instance, if he is all done with a meal, he is all done, and he means it. He means it so much that he tells us constantly - almost in a whining tone of voice, "all done. all done. all done. all done." And it gets progressively whinier, and our explanations that mommy & daddy are not done eating yet fall on deaf ears. He only cares about being all done and wanting to get down. There are times that we are able to distract him - but not always.

The thing about this is that we really want him to learn to sit patiently while others finish their meal. Now, before you say anything, let me say that we know he is only 2, and we know that 2 year olds can't sit for terribly long. But we don't want to create the habit of him eating and getting straight up from the table. Call us old fashioned, but being able to sit at the table after eating (in order to visit or whatever) without having to get right up is important to us. (and I'm not talking about long amounts of time, here. It's usually only minutes between the time that he is done & we are done - and he has got to learn to be patient for mere minutes. I think he can do it, but so far, doesn't want to).

Any ideas? Up until now, everytime he says "all done," we tell him it is fine that he is all done. And then we explain that everyone is not done eating... And that he will be able to get down in just a few minutes. We are consistent about all of this. But it just isn't working

So tonight, we decided that- when he says he is "all done," we will do the explaining bit one time, and after that, ignore his whining (oh, how much easier said than done). Short of getting a timer and setting it for x amount of time - I just don't know what to do. And ignoring him may not be the best thing to do. But at the same time, what we ARE doing doesn't seem to work. And the whining makes me short tempered.

His (the best way to describe it) urgency isn't only related to getting down from the table. It can be whenever he's ready to do something. Have a drink, eat, go outside, get in the car and go, whatever. If he is feeling an urgency, then he develops a one-track mind and does pretty much what I described above, and nothing we can say will calm him down. (if the 'urgency' isn't there, then this isn't an issue. it's mostly when he just. really. wants. to do something)

Again, I ask...ideas??

Second thing that bugs me - being Dr. McGrabby. This child will not keep his hands off of anything. I know, I know! He is TWO, he is exploring. But he is also QUICK, he literally snatches things up. Sometimes, it is things that he can have, but a lot of the time, it is things he doesn't need to have. Things that could hurt him. Things that could break. He doesn't always go for the "okay" things.

If there is a choice between a perfectly fun toy and opening & jamming the DVD player with whatever DVD that happens to be sitting in the player...guess which one he'll choose. The majority of the time, it's the DVD player. If he has a choice between playing with his cousin or ripping a nightlight out of the socket...guess which one he will choose. He did tonight! Ripped that nightlight right out of the wall. If there is a choice between almost anything in the house & the computer...the computer it is.

Oh, I could go on & on. And it makes me tired! Where is that post I wrote not long ago on saying "no" and how to redirect?? It really does work, but I tell you, it leaves a girl tired!

What I need to do. I need to embrace the fact that I have (Nathan, this one is for you) an inquisitive child. And I need to really get down on his level and show him how things work. The hard part is that he is "only" 2, and his attention span is fairly short, so when I do try to explore something with him, he is off & running to something else.

Yeah, it's exhausting. I guess I just need to take my own advice. And maybe have some other parents of 2 year olds tell me they are going through the same thing(s) with their children. I need to know I'm not the only exhausted, sometimes-exasperated mother out there.

Because if I am all alone in this...looney bin, here I come.
16 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'll be sitting next to you in that looney bin...but I think this is just how it is. For now anyway. We have this urgency issue as well and I actually push the situation and get him aggravated on purpose. Sometimes it slows him down, sometimes hell breaks loose. He no longer sits in his booster seat at the table because his urgent need to get away from the table nearly killed him a few times. I'd rather he climb all over a chair than get see him dangle off of it with the booster straps around his ankles.
I don't have any proper advice for you and I'm just rambling here...oh. and we're on DVD player #2 because he needs to watch his videos ASAP.

Blogger Becky and Keith said...
You are too funny! I know it's not funny, but I can just imagine him and his "all dones". Wait until you have a teenager who can full out verbalize and whine like nothing you've ever heard. At dinner, when he's "all done" can you give him an "all done toy" that can distract him for 10 mins? Or maybe you can play the "Is Mommy all done?" "Is Daddy all done?" game to make him realize that your plates aren't empty and when you're done make a big deal out of you being done. I don't have a 2 year old (yet) but your posts are certainly helping me prepare! And when you check into the looney bin, look me up in the directory. I'll be the one that thoroughly enjoys staring at the white padded walls in dead silence. Saves me from saying "Alex, get OFF the phone and finish your homework" for the 90 umpteenth time that day. Big Hugs to you! :-)

Blogger Ronda said...
I'm right there with you. Both of mine repeat, repeat, repeat, when they want, need, see or just think of something. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

We now say, "I heard that you want ________. You may have it after _________" or "You may not have that" or "Yes, I heard you." Then we ignore. It doesn't work all of the time but it is starting to work some of the time.

The grabbing thing is tough too. We say "fingers" which became our shorthand for pull in your hands and keep them to yourself. We started using this when they tried to grab things from the stroller or shopping cart. We explained they might get hurt, etc. Now we use it when they are not allowed to reach out and take something. We generally then explain that it is Mamma or Pappa's and they are not allowed to grab it. If it is something they really, really can't seem to stay away from we use the "one finger" touch rule. They know that they can touch something with one finger which seems to satisfy the need to explore but also instills some sense of gentle respect. Most of the time this is working now.

I would love to know about anything that you've found that works. How about ear plugs:-)

Ronda

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Well.. ones litle Roscoe Junior (who was named after Dale Junior) git his fingers bit kleen off by that fitin' rooster over there at Jimmy's House of Fitin' Chickens, he shore enuff was lerned his lesin on how not to grab stuf. He dont even go neer any of them kanned maters he throwed around the walmarts. Why? Cuz we told him there wuz fitin chickins in them cans...

The talkin? Just giv the kid a can of skoal and a cup, he'll luv it and you won't hear a peep.

I got more parenting tips over at www.tokahtptbnotbtpse.com

(standz for "tips on kids and how to parent them by none other than billy t. parnell, Sr., esq.")

Blogger Lindsay said...
Can you give him a small toy to bring to the table that he gets to play with between his 'all done' and yours? Perhaps you could go shopping with Iliya and choose the 'all done' toy that he only gets at meal times, to make it more attractive to him. Or how about trying a favourite teddy bear in a toy high chair which he can 'feed' after he is finished eating. That way perhaps he will stay at the table and be occupied happily.

As for the grabbing I have NO idea - but will be storing in my mind any suggestions you get that work!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I didn't have these issues with my first, but the 2nd, holy cow. We have those cupboard locks on everything. Nothing dangerous or sentimental is left low enough for #2 to reach. We even have a cup taped over the on/off button on the computer so he can't push it. We don't experience the urgency or all done issue though. They both can be pretty patient and tend to entertain each other at the dinner table. Hey, there's a though, get another one . . .

Blogger Elle said...
We have the "all done" in our house too. We are just consistent and say you stay at the table until everyone is finished. (oh and remove all food within his reach) Took lots of time, but he is much better now.

Blogger bethee said...
Amen. That is us in a nutshell. C is finally getting the idea, but its taken months. He learned the word "wait" at school and knows what that means, so that helped his understanding tremendously. Unfortunately, no suggestions or tips. Only my true understanding. :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
My brother adopted a little girl who was 16 months old. When she started grabbing everything that was not hers my sister-in-law and brother told her that was "mommy's toy" and showed her one of her own, then my brother would do the same thing, "Daddy's toy". Now she doesn't touch any of their things. It has worked great for them. She is now three and so precious. Mind's really well too. Carolyn Nelson

Blogger Rob said...
"Dr. McGrabby" - I'm loving that! Liam has been realy horrible about snatching my glassses right off my face and has a fiercely sturdy grip. Needless to say, my glasses are perpetually grungy and misaligned - both of which are tremendous pet peeves of mine. And sometimes i can tell that he's done this just to get a rise.

Just this week, however, he's beginning to leave our glasses alone so I think I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on this problem.

Liam also is incredibly impatient, but moreso at the beginning of the meal. That is, he'll have a first-class, nuclear-grade meltdown if dinner isn't served as quickly as he might like. The best solution is to make sure he's occupied in his room while meal prep is going on, but that means one of us is shouldering the burden of cooking and setting the table alone, which is not how we operate - we're accustomed to teaming up on tasks to make them go smoother and faster.

Blogger The Wilson's said...
I guess we approached the table a little differntly. When my daughter is all done we make her ask to be excused and we excuse her from the table. That does not mean that we leave the table. She has never had a long attention span just stilling and the table is just not the place that I want to push this. When she does leave the table she will often want our attention. At this point we explain that we are still eating and will help her when we are excused. Of course now that she is a little older, she takes a long time to eat so we usually finish before her.

We also expect Owen to stay at the table with us until everyone is finished so we keep a stack of books and a something to color in the tray under his highchair for AFTER he is truly all done to bring out until we are also finished. We don't always have to use this, but when we have it has worked great for us!

As for the McGrabby, oh yes, we had this problem too. As Carolyn Nelson said above, we also say "This is Mommy's x" and tell him to get something that is his. We also say "That's not a toy. Go get your ___" or "go play with your toys." We've started a form of time-out for the "can't keep my hands off the plugs in the outlets" moments (sitting Owen on the bottom step of our staircase and sitting in front of him with our back turned and no communication or eye contact for 2 minutes). It's working GREAT. He tries to hard to get us to look at him and to talk to him and even put himself in time out a couple of times for touching outlets. They're smarter than we sometimes give them credit for, aren't they?!

Life with a 2 year old...

Blogger Deb said...
For what it's worth I personally know that a 2 year old can sit and wait at the table. Our niece and nephew twins did whenever we went out to eat, unless it got unbearably long they would pretty much sit quietly or playing with something. I was always very impressed. At home is different though I think they got up right away. I say that not as discouragement but as encouragement. I know we will want the same thing with our children and I've seen it done so don't give up on that.

Blogger Johnette said...
No advice, just to say I'm right there with you in the Looney Bin!! You just described a day in our house. My son is 32 months old and has an "inquisitive" nature also and is so impatient, it's unreal! (as I had to take a break and remove the VCR tape from his hands that he got from out of the baby-proofed cabinet!)
Good luck and if I figure out any sure fixes, I'll send them your way.

Blogger Over-Caffeinated said...
Melissa,

I'm a total stranger to you, but a "lurker" on several of the adoption blogs. I want to give you an INGENIOUS little trick that my pediatrician gave me (if you don't have a DEVELOPMENTAL Pediatrician, get one right away because they are FULL of knowledge.) Anyway, the trick. At two years of age, a child should be able to sit in a high chair for around 10 minutes. When you and your family sit down to dinner, set the timer for 10 minutes. When the timer goes off, he may get up, even if you and hubby aren't done... wait, I know what you're thinking... I'm a "everyone sits until all are done" person too and I have three boys who now sit through long dinners almost anywhere. Anyway, the idea is that about every month, you increase the time by one minute. So one month from now, he can get down after 11 minutes, etc. He will start to figure out that he has a definite end in site. As you gradually increase the time, he will gradually increase his ability to sit longer. My sons (8, 6, and 3) don't need the timer now and even if they did the time would be up to such a large amount of minutes that the entire family would be done before the timer went off.

I can't help you with the grabby thing. I can only say to that one, "Aren't you glad he's normal?" :) I know that is infuriating, but this too shall pass, I promise. Hang in there!

Ondrea Harrison
Middle Tennessee
http://marymargaretmaybe.blogspot.com

Blogger Over-Caffeinated said...
This comment has been removed by the author.