We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Tuesday, June 06, 2006
Last Set of Fingerprints...Completed!
Well, no dramatic stories to tell about our last set of fingerprints. (Thank Goodness!!) These were done by the Homeland Security "Application Assitance" office in Birmingham...and let me tell you, they are regimented there! I completely understand...but it was really quite funny. We were 2 of about 3 or 4 people that might be sitting in one given area at a time. And in the two "given areas" there were probably at least 20 seats. Well, the person sitting to the left of us (when we were actually over waiting for our prints to be done) got called up, and Nathan I just continued sitting and chatting with each other. Well, one of the workers came over and asked us kindly to please move over...so we each scooted over a seat, to the end of the row. It probably doesn't sound funny at all to you, but sitting there, just 2 of us, in an area that consisted of 4 rows of chairs...yeah, it was pretty comical.

Anyway, if you've never had the electronic biometrics done before (yeah, I sound legit now, huh? :) it's really kinda wild. Not only how they capture your fingerprints electronically (that's so 22nd century to me! ha ha!) but just that we are all made so special, and that no two people have the exact same fingerprints! Amazing, huh? And there my fingerprints were, up on a big computer screen, and I could really see all the loops & patterns...it's just really neat, I guess I've never thought much about it before...

It took quite a while from the time we got in to the time we left, and through the course of our time at that office, we met a few couples who were in the process of international adoption. One lady & her husband are now adopting from Guatemala...but their first adoption, they adopted a baby from Russia. She was telling me that, start to finish, their adoption process took roughly 8 months. I know that things can change drastically in the time period of a couple years, but we really would appreciate your prayers that things fall into place fairly quickly for us. I know there is a special baby out there for us -- and I'm trying to be so patient! I'm just hoping that things will be finished so that we could travel sooner rather than later (not trying to rush God, just putting in my request! :)

Anyway, one more thing and then I must go to bed (we've been singing with the kids at VBS this week -- 2 hrs. of singing, sitting down, standing up, and jumping around, and two nearing-30 adults become very tired, for sure! :) ... On the way home this afternoon, it dawned on me that we are now 2/3 done with our homestudy...we pretty much have one more visit, and then will be waiting on our ABI/FBI background checks to come back in...our CA/Ns came back fine...and then the homestudy will be done. Piece by piece, we are getting our paperwork done for our dossier...really it seems that all we have left are some other papers, like financial statements, etc...our physical exams...and that seems like it's about it. I'll be talking to our CHI Russian consultant tomorrow (hopefully -- I called today, and they were not in the office b/c their air was out...hopefully it'll be back in service tomorrow! Anyway...I'll talk to Natalia tomorrow...) and run by her what we have and what she sees that we really need to get done. I just feel like we've been GOING GOING GOING so much on getting this stuff done, that we now are in a lull. I have a very strong feeling that we're forgetting something...even though I went through our handbook about four times this afternoon and never could come up with anything we've forgotten!! We've gotten all of our "hurry up and wait documents" completed -- the fingerprints today were all we had left in our INS application (well, the homestudy eval will round out that app & we should get our approval letter from the INS at some point after the homestudy is sent to them)

Once we get all of that together and organized, we will take it to the AL Sec of State's office to be apostilled and then we will send our dossier to CHI for them to look over and be sure that we've got everything we need...then it will go to Russia!!! Don't look for that to happen for a couple months, though...but please do continue to pray that everything continues to happen so that we can get this dossier to Russia. The sooner it gets there, the better!!! I will be sure to keep you updated on breaking news as it happens!! :)

Well, I'm going to go for now. I have a feeling that the above 2 paragraphs have not been very coherent...if not, I apologize. I'll try to fix it tomorrow, sometime.

Hope you all are doing well!!
Love to all ~
~Melissa

Labels: ,