We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
Heard from Natalia...
...and I have some good news & bad news.

Good news first: (Remember, I sent a copy of our dossier to Natalia - our Russia contact person at CHI- so she could go over it before we take it to be apostilled.) This afternoon, I got a call from her saying that we had done a superb job on our dossier! The Good News!!

And then she said she noticed on one of our forms that we'd be open to twins and asked me if we had applied to adopt 2 kids w/ the CIS. To this question, my answer was "yes." Well, she noticed on our homestudy recommendation letter that Amy (our 'local' social worker) recommended us to adopt one child. In our interviews w/ Amy, I'm pretty sure that we had discussed being approved for up to two children (with our first preference for adopting one)...and I'm not sure exactly where the communication error occured, but we thought we were going to be approved for two..but the homestudy says one.

Nathan & I know that we are pretty much only wanting to adopt one...but would be open to twins, if there are any available. So now we sort of feel like a "possibility" has ended, if that makes any sense. AND, our homestudy is already at CIS right now, which makes me afraid to try to change anything (don't want to hold the process up any longer!). I talked to Amy, and she said that she could amend our homestudy, send it back through DHR and it shouldn't hold us up much... but she's afraid that CIS would not approve us for two, and might kick us out of the "system." Oh well... I am going to let Amy check into it and see what she finds out, but we're about to the point that we'll just leave it all as it is right now.

So to your family members who have said that you're hoping for twins...I'm sorry for the disappointment, but it looks like that's not a possibility now.

But you know, maybe this is God's way of saying that we'd really do better "one at a time." There's the positive spin!! :)
2 Comments:
Blogger Carolina Mama said...
Thanks for leading the way. As we are hoping to adopt twins or siblings we will be on the alert to this. I like your attitude, it is a step to getting you to the child God has chosen for you. Blessings!

Blogger sandy said...
My husband and I had a big discussion about whether to adopt one or two. We have twins (home-grown version) and it was a lot of work at first, and his reasoning was that if we adopted twins again it would take too much time away from C and K, who are 5 now. My reasoning, if you could call it that, was that it was so wonderful having twins that I wanted boy/girl twins again... but my memory is faded due to hormones and the mommy factor, and I only vaguely remember how exhausted I was. I know adopting twins would be different, especially when you have children that need quite a bit of attention at home already, because there can be issues that come up that you don't have with biological children. At any rate, I managed to talk him into approval for two from CIS and our home study says we are looking to adopt one child (8 to 18 months), and if this child has a sibling (8 months to 3 years) we will adopt the sibling too. So it's possibly for us to be approved for twins, but I would have a lot of explaining to do to a Russian judge to justify it, not to mention my husband! =) It was mostly a catch-all in case we found out later that our child had a sibling... so that we could keep them together. (And you know what happened... CIS only approved us for one (a mistake), and our social worker had to call them to get them to correct it. It only took about a month.) I don't know what it would be like to revise the home study and resubmit it... I guess it depends on the relationship your home study agency has with the adoption processor at CIS. And I know now: ONE child IS good! (Although I still romance the notion of twins, now and then.) If you are interested in seeing a truly amazing and wonderful mom who started with 4 children (incl. one set of twins) who recently adopted another set of twins check out Kim at http://russianadoptiondiary.blogspot.com/.