We may or may not ever be able to make an announcement that "we're pregnant"...but we have come to understand that the blessing is the fact that however parenthood happens, it is a miracle! ....... Now we have been home with our precious blessing from Russia since August 2007. Join us on our fun and crazy ride that we call "life with this child of mine."
Tuesday, July 25, 2006
Interesting...
I got our first (and hopefully only) solicitation call today. I have to wonder if it was some sort of scam -- you know the people who think that you are so desperate to have a biological child that they will play on your desires and will scam you out of a lot of money? Well, the guy that called me (at work, even!) said he had seen our "ad" (<--first clue, there) in the B'ham News and he has some friends that had tried for (get this) seven years to have a baby. But when they tried this "all natural" product, they got pregnant right away. And would we be interested in trying this product?

What people often do not realize (though I'm sure that all of you, who read this blog, do) is that we no longer feel that deep & abiding NEED to have a biological child. For sure, at this point in our journey. Please don't get me wrong, if I were to miraculously come up pregnant, that would be fantastic -- although at this point, I think I would be in shock. BUT we don't have to have a biological child to be parents, and quite honestly, our hearts are already in Russia with a baby that will be ours one day in the (hopefully) near future.

So I just thought it was interesting to receive that phone call. The guy seemed like a nice guy, but I politely explained that our hearts are in this adoption and we really don't want to pursue anything other than that right at this moment. He was nice, not pushy - and I appreciated that a LOT - but yes, it was interesting to say the very least...

Anyway - just wanted to share!!
6 Comments:
Blogger Deb said...
That is such a weird thing. I hope you don't get too many more weird calls from the articles, just good ones of people wanting to help.
I understand what you mean about not wanting a bio child right now. I feel the same way.

Blogger Nathan said...
People don't realize...if we want help like that, we'll get it.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hello my sweetie...

Good ol' Auntie Cher here...be prepared for people like that... just waiting to prey upon you... but I think that you handled yourself perfectly! Just keep up the good work! I think this is just wonderful...and someone said it in an earlier post...what a way to chronicle your baby's coming in to "our" world!!! I hope that you're journaling this & if you're not...you need to print this off...especially the comments that ppl leave...the beginning of your baby book! A big huge scrapbook! You know me...think BIG!!!

Love to you both...Cher

Blogger Suz said...
Wow, I would have never expected that! I'm glad he was nice and not pushy and I hope you don't have anymore like that!

I think overall your article will help more people than the problems it may bring.

Blogger Melissa said...
Thanks, y'all! Yes, I do agree -- I think more good than harm will come out of this. It's sad that there are people in the world who scam little old ladies and other people who might be vulnerable. But I guess if you're looking out for that sort of thing & know that you are not exempt from these people, it helps.

And to answer your question, Cher, YES, every few days, I go through and print out comments & emails I get from people. This baby is going to have NO doubt it its mind, one day, that it was wanted and loved well before he/she ever came into the world!!! :o)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I feel like I should apologize for the guy who called you. And at work! If you get any more weirdos, give them my work number. I'd love to straighten them out!

-April